Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:08 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

I will not live without my morning coffee. And it's got to be fresh ground beans in the morning for me.

I have found the cheapest place to get decent beans is Grocery Outlet. Even cheaper than Costco.

I use a single cup Melita drip cone, and make one giant single cup of coffee. Once in a blue moon, like today, I drink 2 cups. I live alone, so no pot of coffee here.

What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Drink free coffee at work (which uses Pete's)
For home, I buy Starbucks Espresso big bags from Costco or big cans at Trader Joes.

I make espresso instead of a coffee machine.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:26 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Drink free coffee at work (which uses Pete's)
For home, I buy Starbucks Espresso big bags from Costco or big cans at Trader Joes.

I make espresso instead of a coffee machine.
LOL! Free! Can't get more frugal than that!

Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I make mine at home. I buy coffee only on sale--the big Maxwell House or Folger's French Roast, and then I'll buy some of the more expensive brands, usually a flavor like Hazelnut or Vanilla, once in a blue moon if they are on sale, for a treat.

I do buy another cup of coffee from a deli or a cart when I get to work, and yes, it annoys me that they charge so damn much for it, but by the time I get to work 90 minutes or so after I left the house and my beloved coffeepot behind, I need that next cup!

Old 07-06-2013, 12:05 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
I buy beans at Trader Joe's or my local grocery. It's not the cheapest but considering what we USED to spend at Starbucks we're doing good now.

I have a coffee maker that I love, thermal carafe, grinds the beans for me, bought it second hand. We used to make espresso with a stovetop euro style espresso maker but got too lazy, still do it here and there though.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:59 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I will not live without my morning coffee. And it's got to be fresh ground beans in the morning for me.

I have found the cheapest place to get decent beans is Grocery Outlet. Even cheaper than Costco.

I use a single cup Melita drip cone, and make one giant single cup of coffee. Once in a blue moon, like today, I drink 2 cups. I live alone, so no pot of coffee here.

What do you do?
I too need my coffee in the morning and 2 or 3 cups seem to do it for me. I used to grind the beans myself every morning but then I came to enjoy the complete and utter silence of waking up so early, I decided to forgo the grinding.

I came across what is the best coffee I have ever tasted and it is now my absolute default coffee, bar none. I get it at Costco and it is the Kirkland Signature Supremo Bean Ground Coffee, 48 oz size. It works for me and whenever I have company over they all seem to enjoy it very much.

I find it far more frugal than getting a Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, 7-11, or what have you and it is so much more convenient. They also sell it in decaf if I am having a late evening and a taste for great coffee.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 07-06-2013, 05:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
I have a Starbucks about once every two years whether I need to or not. :-)

Seriously, the price makes me just about have a stroke. Not sure if this is the most frugal option, and pretty sure it's not the cheapest possible. But I mix a flavored ground coffee (like hazelnut) from Aldi half and half with Chock Full O' Nuts. I like it.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
There is free coffee at work if you get to it fast enough, but it's low-quality bulk ground coffee, and the maker never seems to get washed, so, no thanks. I'll brew it at home. The most cost-effective way for me is to grind my own beans a cup at a time and brew in a single-serving French press. It only gets so frugal when you buy whole bean, but it's a worthwhile expenditure to me.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
I get the Best Value or Always Save (store brand) in the big tins. It's fine for me. It's coffee. That's all that matters.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I have a Starbucks about once every two years whether I need to or not. :-)

Seriously, the price makes me just about have a stroke. Not sure if this is the most frugal option, and pretty sure it's not the cheapest possible. But I mix a flavored ground coffee (like hazelnut) from Aldi half and half with Chock Full O' Nuts. I like it.
I did something similar. The big container of a store-brand French roast coffee was on sale, so I bought it. It's a little bitter, but I won't throw it out, so the next time one of the other brands of Hazelnut went on sale, I bought it and mixed the two. The flavored coffee masks the off-flavor of the cheapo coffee, and the flavored one is kind of weak so the French roast bolsters it up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living