Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:44 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times

Advertisements

I resisted for the longest time, and still hate the entire concept.

But I caved in because, hey, cheaper.Sometimes MUCH cheaper, and discounts on gas too.
My keychain bristles with various cards, and it saves me money. I do not get emails ever, but do sometimes get handy coupons in the mail.

If you want to get the lower prices but don't want to play the game, sign up with fake identitifiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 12:27 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
It bothers me a lot. I only carry one physical key chain card but two other places use my phone number. I don't get emails or coupons or anything. I just provide a bunch of data for someone to analyze, and I feel sorry for people who have to do that.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:37 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It wasn't that big an item -- a pair of reading glasses -- and the fact that it's only an occasional purchase surely had a lot to do with the disparity, but.......

The "Suggested Retail Price", which we all know includes a fair-sized mark-up, was $12.00. When I got to checkout, the lady behind the counter asked me whether I had their "Healthy Living" (name changed to avoid making the fight personal) card. Without it, the final price, including sales tax, would have come to $21.00.

I'm fully aware that retail merchants have costs to cover. I do carry one card, from a well-run supermarket chain with outlets close to several places in which I regularly do business, But my wallet is already bulging with plastic, and if I enrolled in every program the schlockmeisters seek to foist upon us, I'd need another accessory just to carry them all.

So here's another purchase going to Wal-Mart simply because some twerp in middle management thought it would be a good idea to replace honest competition with crony capitalism, brought all the way down to the retail level.
Whenever I run across a situation like this, I ask the checker if she has a "courtesy card". Often they have a card or a code that they can punch in to give you the "member" rate. But you have to ask. If she does not, I would approach the manager and ask him if he would rather lose the sale or provide a courtesy card/code so that I can get the member price. I cannot imagine, in this day and age, that the manager would deny the request and lose the business. Even for $12.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-14-2013, 06:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Do you mean places like Costco,Bj's,and Sam's club?

I hate those types of places too. I refuse to pay for membership,and the prices aren't even that much cheaper than regular supermarkets. I will stick with Aldi's for now.
OP isn't referring to those clubs.

As a member of SAMS, I get value from membership - you can have free family members as well - and I've purchased TVs, tires, car batteries, deli items, etcs - I don't think ALDIs sells those. Also, I have to have a wallet full of cash to use ALDIs, don't I? I think I once tried to pay with a credit card and was told that wasn't accepted.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:27 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
My keychain bristles with various cards, and it saves me money. I do not get emails ever, but do sometimes get handy coupons in the mail.
A family member once lost her keys in one of those grocery stores and the store was able to contact her using her identification on one of those tags on her keychain.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It wasn't that big an item -- a pair of reading glasses -- and the fact that it's only an occasional purchase surely had a lot to do with the disparity, but.......

The "Suggested Retail Price", which we all know includes a fair-sized mark-up, was $12.00. When I got to checkout, the lady behind the counter asked me whether I had their "Healthy Living" (name changed to avoid making the fight personal) card. Without it, the final price, including sales tax, would have come to $21.00.

I'm fully aware that retail merchants have costs to cover. I do carry one card, from a well-run supermarket chain with outlets close to several places in which I regularly do business, But my wallet is already bulging with plastic, and if I enrolled in every program the schlockmeisters seek to foist upon us, I'd need another accessory just to carry them all.

So here's another purchase going to Wal-Mart simply because some twerp in middle management thought it would be a good idea to replace honest competition with crony capitalism, brought all the way down to the retail level.
It is always stated very clearly on the signs that the price is "with blah blah card" in my area.
Did you read the entire sign before making your choice? Perhaps an oversight on your part?
Most of the cards you do not need to carry any longer, you can get them on your smart phone or they have it on record with a telephone number.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:46 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
OP isn't referring to those clubs.

As a member of SAMS, I get value from membership - you can have free family members as well - and I've purchased TVs, tires, car batteries, deli items, etcs - I don't think ALDIs sells those. Also, I have to have a wallet full of cash to use ALDIs, don't I? I think I once tried to pay with a credit card and was told that wasn't accepted.
ALDI doesn't take credit cards, but they do take debit cards. We use ours there whenever we go, as we don't carry much cash.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:29 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Sometimes you can just ask if they have a card you can use. Toss it when you leave the store. I do this with a couple of stores that I don't visit on a regular basis. Sometimes the person behind you will let you use their card so they can get the extra points.
I would NOT do that... unless you are paying with cash.
If there is a problem with YOUR credit or debit card, I would be on the hook for the amount!
Not worth the risk....

Old 12-14-2013, 08:05 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would NOT do that... unless you are paying with cash.
If there is a problem with YOUR credit or debit card, I would be on the hook for the amount!
Not worth the risk....
You are possibly right. It was offered to me by the person behind me and I didn't ask them to use the card. The person told me they wanted the points. The receipts don't have your name or cc# so I don't worry about the person having access to my account.

I'm going off on a tangent here. One reason I sometimes use a card as disposible it is getting to the point where every stinkin store has these cards. I don't mind having the card if I shop there a lot. My info is already out there. If it is someplace I only shop once every few months, it's not worth my hassle of going online and claiming my points or whatever. I have an email specifically for offers. It annoys me to sign up for a card and then try to log on to the store website later and not remember my password especially since I have not shopped there again for two-five years. It takes 5-10 minutes or longer to get in with a new password. Then when you try to check out, it remembers you used that card with paypal and tries to force you into paypal. Or they remember you from your old address and you have to correct every single bit of info or your order gets delivered to your last house. I tried to sign up with a big box store card a while back. I couldn't get it to work. Then when I was in the store, they looked me up in their system for a home delivery and had me linked to four different addresses and various phone numbers where I have lived in the past ten years. I can barely remember my current phone number. No way am I going to remember the phone number from four houses ago.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:22 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Reading glasses..... For $12 ?

When I think of "reading glasses " I think of having an eye test, by a professional, and then having glasses made, according to my prescription, with things like "no line " trifocals, and non glare lenses. My last pair of "reading glasses " cost about $450.

I guess the OP meant that she picked a pair off a display, held them up to her eyes, and tried to read the signs in the store. Hardly a scientific method of selection.

I realize that this is the "frugal living " section of CD, but really..... isn't that a bad idea ?

Go ahead and save money on food , or clothes, but when it comes to my health, I pay for the best I can get.

Jim B.

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living