Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Reading glasses..... For $12 ?

When I think of "reading glasses " I think of having an eye test, by a professional, and then having glasses made, according to my prescription, with things like "no line " trifocals, and non glare lenses. My last pair of "reading glasses " cost about $450.

I guess the OP meant that she picked a pair off a display, held them up to her eyes, and tried to read the signs in the store. Hardly a scientific method of selection.

I realize that this is the "frugal living " section of CD, but really..... isn't that a bad idea ?

Go ahead and save money on food , or clothes, but when it comes to my health, I pay for the best I can get.

Jim B.

Toronto.
Actually, my optometrist recommends the cheap reading glasses. My eyes aren't bad enough for bifocals yet, but I need some help. The cheap reading glasses do the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:18 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times
I despise having to carry all sorts of club cards, but the savings are
huge. I resisted for a long time and only got one local drugstore,
but caved.
Now my keychain weighs a ton and my arm is getting toned

Old 12-14-2013, 12:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:

When I think of "reading glasses " I think of having an eye test, by a professional, and then having glasses made, according to my prescription, with things like "no line " trifocals, and non glare lenses. My last pair of "reading glasses " cost about $450.

I guess the OP meant that she picked a pair off a display, held them up to her eyes, and tried to read the signs in the store. Hardly a scientific method of selection.

I realize that this is the "frugal living " section of CD, but really..... isn't that a bad idea ?

Go ahead and save money on food , or clothes, but when it comes to my health, I pay for the best I can get.

Jim B.

Toronto.
You can get them at the Dollar Store for...well...um..... a Dollar.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-14-2013, 12:24 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Has anybody thought that cards are a clever replacement for coupons?

Those that have a line of credit, though, you really have to watch. Being the disorganized person I am, I've ran up a perfectly manageable balance, paid the card monthly, and then one month forgot to check it and incurred a $25 or $35 late penalty many times.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Has anybody thought that cards are a clever replacement for coupons?

Those that have a line of credit, though, you really have to watch. Being the disorganized person I am, I've ran up a perfectly manageable balance, paid the card monthly, and then one month forgot to check it and incurred a $25 or $35 late penalty many times.

Sounds like you are talking about a credit card.
This discussion is about the store loyalty cards.
There is no manageable balance, no payment, no penalties.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:18 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sounds like you are talking about a credit card.
This discussion is about the store loyalty cards.
There is no manageable balance, no payment, no penalties.
Not really.

For example, my TJX Rewards card only works at TJ Maxx (actually, Marshalls too, I believe). It has a line of credit, but also carries special rewards with it.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:50 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Not really.

For example, my TJX Rewards card only works at TJ Maxx (actually, Marshalls too, I believe). It has a line of credit, but also carries special rewards with it.
That's a credit card.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:08 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,658 times
Quote:

Jim B.

Toronto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Actually, my optometrist recommends the cheap reading glasses. My eyes aren't bad enough for bifocals yet, but I need some help. The cheap reading glasses do the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
I just had my annual eye exam and my doc told me that Dollar Store reading glasses are just fine. As long as I can read, why pay more?

I was so thrilled after cataract surgery to know that I no longer had to pay hundreds of dollars for prescription glasses. My eyes are fine, they are just getting old. (So I was told. )

To stay on topic... Yes, I sign up for all those store cards. As poor as I am there is nothing anyone can steal from me, and I can use every extra penny I find - no matter where it comes from.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:18 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
That's what I do! And have done it for several years. Who told me that the $1 stores were ok regarding quality? Heh heh, my optometrist!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:21 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Just to provide some background, I'm a male, turn 65 late next summer, and began wearing "coke-bottle" glasses at the age of two. Last spring, I decided to get developing cataracts addressed while I was still working and had insurance to pay for it; the surgeon apparently threw in some Lasix as part of the package. The bill came to $52K of which I paid $2K in deductibles.

So now I can drive without glasses, but have to carry "reading glasses" -- got a good pair at Wal-Mart for $6 -- in order to deal with fine print. Pretty good trade, as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living