Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:41 PM

13,027 posts, read 13,940,974 times

Advertisements

Eliminate junk food from your diet goes a long way, as it reduces the likelihood of obesity, Type II diabetes, high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, coronary artery disease and the like.

Actually, eliminating anything with the various artificial sweeteners (so-called zero calorie or very low calorie sweeteners), it turns out, also reduces the likelihood of obesity, especially if you do not add sugar or honey as a substitute for the artificial sweeteners.

Lowering the odds of acquiring diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, and coronary artery disease are definitely "frugal."

Old 09-04-2016, 12:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,447,443 times
It's what you buy, not where you buy it. Green beans are green beans whether from a garden, Aldi, or Whole Foods.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:12 PM

30,931 posts, read 37,133,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Old world saying is that good health comes thru the mouth, in oder words watch what you eat and eat healthy.
Saving on food and going shoping in those discount stores is worst thing you can do to your self and your health.

Never save on food quality, eat organic produce as much as possible, stay away from products in the bag, like chips and etc. Eath fresh vegetables, fruits, wild caught fish, ( stay away from farmed fish, eath organic veggies and fruits ), nuts, drink fresh juices, eath garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper.

Save and live frugal on everything else if you want, but don't do it on food quality. Buy only quality food and stay away from proceseed foods if you want to avoid Cancer in the future.

Good Luck!!!
I honestly think if people would just avoid the processed and junk foods, and reduce (not necessarily eliminate) meat/poultry consumption, and not worry so much about organics, obesity and diabetes, and much heart disease and cancer would just go away.

Problem is, a lot of people aren't doing even the most basic things.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:24 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,429,864 times
There is nothing wrong with farm raised fish. Farm raised fish is often superior in quality to price similar alternatives Take salmon for instance. Farm raised salmon is excellent. Sockeye and lesser salmons? EHHH

Old 09-06-2016, 12:58 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,145,434 times
Of all the advances in science, it is sad that nutrition is about in the bottom of the barrel with limited advancements in understanding and limited information for consumers.

There are a great many reasons for this. Quite a few are due to the Federal government. First the Department of Agriculture has a mandate to act as a trade group promoting the agricultural industry. It is not involved with sorting through the scientific literature or doing objective studies. It is a government sponsored trade group.

There is another big issue with the FDA mandates. The FDA has a don't ask, don't tell policy when it comes to most issues involving nutrition and vitamins and nutritional supplements. If the seller's claims get too far afield the FDA requires that the seller include a disclaimer that the product does not diagnose or treat disease. Otherwise there is a strict hands off policy. A good example would be the claims for "free radical busting antioxidants". Hardly anyone understands what a free radical is or the definition of an antioxidant, but the claims sound good. And there is a sort of vague scientific justification based mainly on conjecture. The idea that you can ingest these antioxidants and have some protection from cancer is a long way from being proven.

Surely we understand that proper nutrition would mean eating foods that total out to a reasonable daily caloric intake. So we should be able to look up some calorie information as part of building a diet. Turns out even that basic scientific information is all but missing. Caloric content is based on placing food products in a bomb calorimeter and burning them. You could equally find the caloric content of a piece of firewood but that does not mean we could digest and use those calories. It is all very sad but I am merely describing the tip of the iceberg. For years I was involved in trace mineral research. If you think the understanding of a calorie seems a little crude, you cannot begin to imagine how little we know about vitamin and mineral requirements.

So the OP wants us to avoid saving money on food. He/she has a whole big list of foods that might be good or bad for us. I wonder where they got their knowledge of nutrition or for that matter where any of us can look for reliable information.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:59 PM

37,664 posts, read 61,751,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Eliminate junk food from your diet goes a long way, as it reduces the likelihood of obesity, Type II diabetes, high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, coronary artery disease and the like.

Actually, eliminating anything with the various artificial sweeteners (so-called zero calorie or very low calorie sweeteners), it turns out, also reduces the likelihood of obesity, especially if you do not add sugar or honey as a substitute for the artificial sweeteners.

Lowering the odds of acquiring diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, and coronary artery disease are definitely "frugal."
It seems to me that eating healthier food is the frugal way to eat.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:55 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,044,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
No reason to stop there, not really.

$400/month is roughly $13.33/day, or roughly 2X what it cost us to feed a family of 7. A 15% increase would be around $72,000 in a century.

You know how to really exaggerate this and make it look super big is to factor in compounding interest for that century.

Do you have cable? Want to see what you cable is costing you, per century? I bet that is a bigger number.

Anyway that you want to exaggerate this, we can make a contest to exaggerate it more.

Don't be ridiculous.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:50 PM

37,664 posts, read 61,751,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Don't be ridiculous.
I am not. 15% is still 15%. Whether you look at the numbers from one-day, one-week or one-century. 15% is still 15%

When I have seen how much some people are paying on their cable and data packages, I can not imagine they have much ground to stand on to complain about spending money on food.

Last edited by Submariner; 09-07-2016 at 05:21 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 09:02 PM

2,525 posts, read 3,081,685 times
I do tend to buy the "Dirty Dozen" ( list of fruits and vegetables that tend to carry a higher rate of toxins if not bought organic) even though there are people who argue this list is valid.

Organic wine seems to taste better and has less of an unpleasant after effect due to them containing naturally occurring sulfites.

Other than that I try to go with antibiotic and growth hormone free meat and poultry and organic when the price is right.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:42 PM

33,052 posts, read 36,694,353 times
The title of this thread makes it sound as though we shouldn't buy quality at a reduced price.

Last year, I stopped at a farm stand just before they closed. The woman asked me if I wanted some eggplant. I'd gone there for tomatoes, so... Three eggplant for $1. They were about done and she wasn't going to sell any more that year. Did I like peaches? I love peaches! She gave me four peaches because they all had a small bruise. No one would buy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living