Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 01:14 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,662,141 times

Advertisements

Do you guys care when the latest and greatest phones come out? Do you guys care about the latest and greatest cell phone plans available or do you guys go the cheapest route. (google voice and wifi texting)

I'm trying to cut down on my expenses so that included my cell phone and my plan. I use to pay 90 a month for a plan and i use to get the latest and greatest phones. I use to spend hundreds of dollars for the newest phone. Now I had my phone for two years and I feel like I need an upgrade but I'm not going to. And right now, I'm on a prepaid cell phone plan for 49 dollars a month which includes unlimited texts and calls and some data. That's pretty good since i use my mobile hotspot in my car but I'm looking for other ways to cut down on my cell phone expenses

What do you guys recommend for a cheaper cell phone plan? Do you guys care which cell phone you guys get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 01:16 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times
Project Fi from Google....uses 3 networks Sprint, T-Mobile,and US Cellular, and automatically switches to the strongest signal......https://fi.google.com/about/plan/

Old 09-09-2016, 02:08 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,358,388 times
I use Tracfone pay-as-you-go service. Since I'm saving money on the cell service, I like to spend a little to get a newer phone every 18-24 months. Sometimes I buy new and sometimes I buy used off eBay. I then sell the old phone on eBay to recoup some money.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:44 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,047,353 times
Do you really need unlimited use?

I use Tracfone prepaid. I have very light talk/text/data needs. A $100 1 year card is all I need. That gives me 1200 talk minutes/1200 texts/1200mb data. Most people blow through that amount in no time but it lasts me a whole year. I watch my usage very carefully and avoid using it if I don't need to. Money is a good analogy for that.

You can use a Tracfone specific device or BYOP (bring your own phone). There are plenty of ok smartphones out there under $100. I use a phone that I got for $30. It's a Samsung Galaxy J1. It doesn't impress anyone but works fine for me. If I get 1 year out of it and get another $30 phone next year, that's great. I use my phone a lot on wifi, gps, camera, reading ebooks.

For use for longer phone calls at home I got a free Google Voice number and a $40 Obi100 box. I hooked it all up to my modem and I can make free calls over the internet. We have used this as our "landline" phone for 4 years now. Works great!

Old 09-09-2016, 02:56 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,059,290 times
I've had T-mobile prepaid for years. 1000 minutes for $100 and use it just to call out. Don't turn it on unless I'm going somewhere without the wife in case she wants to reach me. Otherwise, it stays off. I think there are 3 people that have the number. No texting. At the end of the year I usually have around 800 minutes left so I buy 30 minutes for $30 and then they're good for a year. I still have minutes left from the 1st sign up but you have to add something each year or you lose them all. When we go on vacation, the phone stays off until we get back to the airport to call for a limo, never have turned it on while on vacation. Have a land line that I never use but have to have it to get cheap internet. Have the ringer shut off on that one so the only way I know that someone called is if I see the light blinking.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:42 PM

473 posts, read 502,822 times
Been pleased with ATT gophone. Got Windows phone at Walmart for $49 and is $40 a month for 2 gb data and $60 for 4 gb data, unlimited calling/texting. Can buy card at Walmart with cash to pay fee monthly but also add credit card to website and will auto renew. Windows phone does almost everything except easy online shopping but does not have a lot of apps that are compatible if you are app crazy....Nice phone for an adult. I have yet to run out of data on $40 month/2 gb plan as long as I do not watch videos.

Started with used Iphone but just too many problems with burning through chargers. Now happy enough with Windows phones not to care. My phone is by Nokia. Will do maps, internet, mifi, ebooks, news, weather, calendar, alarm clock, lists, pics/video and calculator, adult doesn't need a lot more unless using it for work.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:39 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,778 times
We're using total wireless right now. For both our phones it's $56 a month. So it's about $27 for just one person. Nope, no interest in the latest and greatest phones. Never been interested in that. I love my iPad and use it all the time so my phone is just to call and text when needed. I have a smart phone but don't really use it for that stuff. We use to use att and was paying $100 a month! So a big savings when we switched. So far we love it, no issues at all with service.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:04 AM

294 posts, read 337,510 times
I haven't had a phone plan in over a year. I'm almost never outside of wifi range so it kinda just worked out.
I downloaded the offline map on the Google maps app so I can still navigate.

It's so liberating! People no longer expect an instant reply from me and I don't have the urge to text and drive or check on my phone at a stoplight.

And since I don't like the new models, I just buy used from trusted sources

Old 09-11-2016, 12:40 AM

712 posts, read 2,146,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Do you guys care when the latest and greatest phones come out?
Nope don't care... but also! I do like to use the new technology when it's cheap/affordable

Quote:
Do you guys care about the latest and greatest cell phone plans available or do you guys go the cheapest route. (google voice and wifi texting)
The newest cheap plans means you actually don't have to pay bill.. crazy ehh? That and some of the competitive cellphone plans out there.. mean you can get service for like $6-10 so if I mine wasn't free.. I'd be paying $6-10 which is what I was paying

Quote:
Do you guys care which cell phone you guys get?
I care it has to be a minimum android smartphone these days... Since apples oldest tech has become affordable.. I actually find apple to be better then android so no I don't have a $600-700 Iphone 6/7/8/whatever.. I have the 5s.. they run brand new close to $100-150.. that's affordable... (and don't lose too much value either )

Old 09-11-2016, 07:27 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Project Fi from Google....uses 3 networks Sprint, T-Mobile,and US Cellular, and automatically switches to the strongest signal......https://fi.google.com/about/plan/
Do you like it? I dumped it after a month, it took forever to switch networks especially when I was driving frequently leaving me with no cellular service for 15 -20 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living