Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:54 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times

Advertisements

It depends on what you can afford, where you live, what you like to eat and if you're mainly eating food that is good for you. I cook for five not one so I don't have a budget to suggest. I'd suggest looking at the meal plan for a week or two and figuring costs on that. If you're ok with $50 per week, then it is acceptable. If $50 is too much, then look at what you could substitute without feeling deprived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 10:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I showed my friend my weekly budget for groceries and she was surprised that i spent that much money on groceries by myself. Is 50 dollars a week for groceries for a single person that astronomically high?
you can eat for about 25 a week if you watch every penny and eat mostly chicken but that is the other extreme. if you are counting paper products in the that $50 you are still a little high but not out of line by any means. The main thing is: can you afford the $50 a week and are you eating healthy? I know I am frugal when it comes to getting the most for my money when cooking, but i love to cook and we like quality meals, thus I may spend more than someone else, but I am still doing well considering how we eat. One of my secrets, but it isn't really a secret just a habit many do not practice: meal planning. I make a menu every Sat or Sun based on what I have in the freezer, the fridge and what I purchased the week before or what is on sale at the time. I work from there, it might be Salmon one night, steak one and homemade soup one night. 1/2 of our meals are low cost; the other 1/2 not so low cost and I do fix things like frozen pizza on days I am really tired, but use very little processed foods.

Last edited by nmnita; 01-08-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Not really, but it depends on your circumstances and eating style. I spend noticeably less than that, but I seldom eat meat, produce my own eggs, and grow about a third of my greens (aiming for 100%, but not there yet, still figuring out winter growing).
but you have to remember, growing your own produce costs money as well. In the summer we do as much as we can but there are costs involved in growing our veggies and if you are going to preserve them there are other costs.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:40 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but you have to remember, growing your own produce costs money as well. In the summer we do as much as we can but there are costs involved in growing our veggies and if you are going to preserve them there are other costs.
Oh sure, growing your own is not free, unless you save your own seed, generate your own fertilizer from various waste streams, and sell your surplus. I do it for food quality reasons and because I thoroughly enjoy it.

OP, there are lots of frugal food sources on the internet. Here's one of my favorites - Cheap Eats: Cookbook Shows How To Eat Well On A Food Stamp Budget : The Salt : NPR

The maximum monthly allotment of food stamps for a single person is currently $194.

Edited to add - when you purchase a printed copy of this book, a printed copy will be donated to a hunger-relief organization.

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-08-2017 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-08-2017, 10:46 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oh sure, growing your own is not free, unless you save your own seed, generate your own fertilizer from various waste streams, and sell your surplus. I do it for food quality reasons and because I thoroughly enjoy it.

OP, there are lots of frugal food sources on the internet. Here's one of my favorites - Cheap Eats: Cookbook Shows How To Eat Well On A Food Stamp Budget : The Salt : NPR

The maximum monthly allotment of food stamps for a single person is currently $194.
Brown's cookbook is decent, and our family has permanently adopted a few of her better recipes into our rotation. The broccoli cheese baked empanadas are particularly good. Another good source is the blog Budget Bytes, which seems to have something for everyone. Her Weeknight Enchiladas make a pretty regular appearance on our dinner table.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
What i mostly buy is raw meats and fresh fruits and veges. I rarely buy any processed foods.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:06 PM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
If you are happy with the dollar amount & the quality of food you eat, then I think $50 is a good amount to spend. Who cares what some "friend" says. they might be trying to annoy you on purpose ( or not) in any case, do what makes you happy

Old 01-08-2017, 01:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
It depends on where you live, in LA, my kid spent more than $300 per month. She packs lunch to work though.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:07 PM

844 posts, read 1,444,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I showed my friend my weekly budget for groceries and she was surprised that i spent that much money on groceries by myself. Is 50 dollars a week for groceries for a single person that astronomically high?
This is too general of a comment. You could be a 115 pound female..or you could be a 250 pound guy...the calories needed and quantity of food is very different. 50 dollars a week isn't too bad though.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:55 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
That's not bad.....about 7 bucks a day.

My goal used to be keeping it under 5 buck a day.....but with the price of food now, that does not happen many days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living