Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would think $125 is well within reason for a family of 5, but it depends if this includes lunches as well? As for hubby not liking Aldi's, a lot of people seem to have a problem with them. The newer stores or remodeled stores are clean, nice and have all the positives the old ones have, plus being nicer. I know our granddaughter tried one several years ago, it was old and not that clean plus she is a food snob. I doubt she would ever go to one again. I am surprised she shops at Sam's. Luckily for her, money is no object.
My husband doesn't go to Aldi. He doesn't like the quality of the food and has asked me not to buy certain foods there. Most of the food we like there is junk food so I don't go because I don't need it. I like the individual trail mixes they sell during the back to school period and will make a special trip for that. We have both Costco and Sam's. I buy staples like 10-25 lb bags of flour and sugar at Sam's. We may let that membership go. Dh bought it for a specific reason and I don't remember why. IMO, Sam's offers more, but I like Costco quality better. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd keep Costco.

I did my budgeting during the summer when the kids were home so I think it was fairly accurate. Dh eats out. That's expensive, but he does a lot of networking and it has paid off for him. The kids eat at school during the year and it's around $45. The kids still eat the equivalent of two-three meals at home per day during the school year. My main meal usually costs about $10-15 to make. I could cook less expensive recipes. As long as we enjoy what we eat and we eat relatively healthy food, I'm ok with our costs. I've tested my budget recently enough that I am comfortable where I'm at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:24 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,550,605 times
$125 per week for family of 5 is less than the lowest plan ("thrifty") as per USDA food costs chart

https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/defa...oodNov2016.pdf

Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Does $200.00 per month include all of your food expenses? ... I am having difficulty keeping track. I am going to start putting myself on a cash allowance for food.
EZ...
1) put $100 in an envelope on the first of the month
2) when / if it is empty... stop eating / buying

Worked for us since 1980 (2) + same when kids were home (4 total eating & entertaining on $100/ month)

We often cook for elderly 'shut-ins' within this budget. Includes eating out, which we seldom do 2-3x / yr.

Same when traveling, but was VERY tough in NZ and AU.

We eat very well, entertain, and eat very healthy, but maintain same weight as we were in HS (40+ yrs ago)

Not the same W-I-D-T-H

Gravity...

few rules....
  • buy produce under $0.50/#
  • Shop 'off-hours' / talk to produce guy and get 'culls'
  • Grow your own (Edible landscape)
  • Help neighbors garden (in exchange for free produce)
  • Buy salmon from local Indians.
  • Use Happy Hour for eating out
  • miss a meal a week
  • no processed foods
  • 26 'servings' from ONE $4.99 Costco chicken (salads, burritos, soup...) NO Costco membership Just wait for someone you know to show up, so you can buy a chicken with their card. (Frugal Living 101)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-11-2017 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 05:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
My husband doesn't go to Aldi. He doesn't like the quality of the food and has asked me not to buy certain foods there. Most of the food we like there is junk food so I don't go because I don't need it. I like the individual trail mixes they sell during the back to school period and will make a special trip for that. We have both Costco and Sam's. I buy staples like 10-25 lb bags of flour and sugar at Sam's. We may let that membership go. Dh bought it for a specific reason and I don't remember why. IMO, Sam's offers more, but I like Costco quality better. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd keep Costco.

I did my budgeting during the summer when the kids were home so I think it was fairly accurate. Dh eats out. That's expensive, but he does a lot of networking and it has paid off for him. The kids eat at school during the year and it's around $45. The kids still eat the equivalent of two-three meals at home per day during the school year. My main meal usually costs about $10-15 to make. I could cook less expensive recipes. As long as we enjoy what we eat and we eat relatively healthy food, I'm ok with our costs. I've tested my budget recently enough that I am comfortable where I'm at.
sounds like it is working for you. That is the important thing. As for Aldi's a lot of people do not care for the store. Actually one of the things we do like about Aldi's is chips, nuts, etc. So everyone has their own idea about what they do and do not want to buy at a given market. I agree with you about Sam's versus Costco; slightly better quality at Costco, but Sam's is fine and the newer stores, again, are nicer with a better selection than say, 10 or so years ago. I love their fresh meat and sea food department.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:43 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,264,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Not really, but it depends on your circumstances and eating style. I spend noticeably less than that, but I seldom eat meat, produce my own eggs, and grow about a third of my greens (aiming for 100%, but not there yet, still figuring out winter growing).
If you haven't already check out the "One Yard Revolution" videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/OneYardRevolution The guy in the videos lives in Chicago. It is amazing what he is able to grow in winter, even during a "polar vortex".

Old 01-12-2017, 11:19 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post

I agree with your husband, I am not a fan of Aldis. I just don't like the quality of the food.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
$125 per week for family of 5 is less than the lowest plan ("thrifty") as per USDA food costs chart

https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/defa...oodNov2016.pdf
Thank you for pointing this out. A budget of $125 per week works out to $1.19/meal. That is a starvation-level diet.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:46 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Does $200.00 per month include all of your food expenses? I cannot seem to make my food budget work. I tried $300.00 per month and it is not working. I have increased it to $400.00. I am having difficulty keeping track. I am going to start putting myself on a cash allowance for food.
This thread is going to cause me to keep track. It will mean buying household items and personal care products separately. I mean I will get them altogether, but have the cashier do two transactions. Otherwise I have no idea how much I'm spending is for food.

To the OP I once had only $50 a week for all food and other things one buys at the grocery store and it was very hard. I remember looking at the razor refills over and over and then deciding my razor would need to last longer!

Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times
No. I think it pretty good.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:27 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sounds like it is working for you. That is the important thing. As for Aldi's a lot of people do not care for the store. Actually one of the things we do like about Aldi's is chips, nuts, etc. So everyone has their own idea about what they do and do not want to buy at a given market. I agree with you about Sam's versus Costco; slightly better quality at Costco, but Sam's is fine and the newer stores, again, are nicer with a better selection than say, 10 or so years ago. I love their fresh meat and sea food department.
My apologies to the OP for hijacking your post.

I should probably clarify that I know what my basics are and I have done several shops within the $125 weekly budget, but I often don't stick with that as a strict budget. We are surrounded by awesome food choices. We have many non-chain type restaurants to explore. Even when I cook, I may buy the meat and most ingredients on sale. I will probably also buy the tortillas made in the store or the local guacamole or the pricier pesto rather than making it myself. That's where higher costs start creeping in. This is where I factor in quality of life. As long as we can afford it and it isn't hurting our overall lifestyle, then it's ok to splurge. I mentally limit myself to a few items per trip so there isn't uncontrolled spending, but I don't strictly follow the numbers either. I guess I would say I check in once in a while to see where I am at.

As far as portion cost, my $10-15 supper meal may come with leftovers and that makes for a little overlap between meals. Leftovers may get eaten the next day or frozen for later meals and snacks. I woke up this morning to one son microwaving two frozen leftover green chile pork tacos for breakfast. One child requested a lunchmeat and cheese sandwich for breakfast and I reheated a slider hamburger we had grilled two nights ago for another and added leftover toppings. My husband made up breakfast tacos a few days back and reheated one of those. I had a green chile taco and a breakfast taco. Several of the food items were included as the cost of another meal, but were actually eaten today. While other food items would be included as today's meal items. If I needed better accounting, I could possibly break it down by portions and cost per portion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living