Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:56 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,601,233 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have a favorite frugal source for pet food or treats? Either brick & mortar or online.

I've been buying pet treats at Sam's Club for years. I buy the kibble food at either WalMart or Target (Sam's doesn't carry it). I keep an eye out for coupons (Sam's doesn't take coupons, but other stores do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 09:04 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,777,344 times
I get wet cat food at Sam's and Amazon.

I get grain free dog food at Sam's.

I've read that Chewy.com is a good source, but have not tried it myself.

For treats, I give raw chicken to my cats and strawberries to my dog.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:37 AM

505 posts, read 717,176 times
Sweet potato sliced thin and dried in the oven..250*for about 4/5 hours. Then I leave them in the off oven overnight. Dog loves them.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:45 PM

15,149 posts, read 27,821,472 times
Dog or cat treats and food? I've heard about Chewy.com as well but I think they have a minimum. Best you can do otherwise is watch sales, look for coupons - don't go too cheap (your pets' health isn't worth it IMO)

Old 07-23-2017, 04:04 PM

419 posts, read 388,422 times
We've bought from Chewy.com for the last few years and really like them. The dates on the food are always way away, and we've never had anything damaged. They're quick, easy, and never mess up the orders. For free shipping, you have to buy $49. Usually we have the order within 3 days. With Chewy, there's no more lugging it from the pet food store because it shows up at the doorstep. Canned food can only be bought by the case. They have a great variety of high quality pet food. Our dogs have come to recognize the Chewy box and dance around when we bring it in.

Chewy has an autoship program that gives 5% on certain brands. You're not locked in and can change what you want in your autoship at anytime. Just remember the date you have it set to ship and change accordingly or else it will just show up at your door.

The only store-bought treats we give our dogs are Canine Caviar Sweet Potato Treats. They go wild for them, and we have to limit them to special occasions. Chewy was their supplier. For daily treats, we give them real food -- mostly small pieces of chicken, turkey, beef, frozen blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, carrots, boiled potatoes.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
Sweet potato sliced thin and dried in the oven..250*for about 4/5 hours. Then I leave them in the off oven overnight. Dog loves them.
Thanks! I'll price this out & see how much. If same or less than the treats I buy, I can do this.

I already make them chicken jerky occasionally.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
We've bought from Chewy.com for the last few years and really like them. The dates on the food are always way away, and we've never had anything damaged. They're quick, easy, and never mess up the orders. For free shipping, you have to buy $49. Usually we have the order within 3 days. With Chewy, there's no more lugging it from the pet food store because it shows up at the doorstep. Canned food can only be bought by the case. They have a great variety of high quality pet food. Our dogs have come to recognize the Chewy box and dance around when we bring it in.

Chewy has an autoship program that gives 5% on certain brands. You're not locked in and can change what you want in your autoship at anytime. Just remember the date you have it set to ship and change accordingly or else it will just show up at your door.

The only store-bought treats we give our dogs are Canine Caviar Sweet Potato Treats. They go wild for them, and we have to limit them to special occasions. Chewy was their supplier. For daily treats, we give them real food -- mostly small pieces of chicken, turkey, beef, frozen blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, carrots, boiled potatoes.
Lots of recs for Chewy, but I looked, and it's pretty pricey, compared to Sam's. Now, they don't charge sales tax for my state, so that helps. Maybe Sam's is the lowest cost I can find, after all.

Thanks so much.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Dog or cat treats and food? I've heard about Chewy.com as well but I think they have a minimum. Best you can do otherwise is watch sales, look for coupons - don't go too cheap (your pets' health isn't worth it IMO)
I have dogs.

Yes, I watch for sales and coupons, plus I get the standard things at Sam's (hard to beat that price).

It's actually good news, I guess, that I've already found what most consider to be the lowest cost quality treats.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2017, 03:49 PM

61,857 posts, read 87,314,674 times
I would be just afraid that, like with human food, when comes to cheap - you get what you pay for.
Lots of pet food is made in China, there is no way to know what exactly is in the cheap pet food produced somewhere in Asia. Chemicals and fillers that do not provide any nutritional benefits? Is there any beef, pork, chicken or fish, even if the label says so? It means that in addition to the risk of tainted food, pet owners also run a risk of feeding foods lacking animal protein or with mislabeled levels of protein.
So, “Made in America” is a safe way to go? No. Wrong again! What does that mean for you? It means that your favorite pet food that is “Made in the USA” might still contain contaminated ingredients imported from China.

I know, most people don't have time to cook, but perhaps cooking for your pets is not only healthier but also much cheaper.
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...n_20568-1.html

http://www.dogcouturecountry.com/201...made-in-china/

Last edited by elnina; 07-24-2017 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 03:54 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,771,252 times
Of course you want to get the best value for your money but I would not buy anything made in China for your pets. The risk is just too great that it's been contaminated. If you belong to Costco, Kirkland is a good choice.

When it comes to pet food and treats, cheaper isn't always better. You don't need to buy the most expensive food out there but there definitely is a middle ground that's good for both your budget and your pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living