Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 04:10 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Of course you want to get the best value for your money but I would not buy anything made in China for your pets. The risk is just too great that it's been contaminated. If you belong to Costco, Kirkland is a good choice.

When it comes to pet food and treats, cheaper isn't always better. You don't need to buy the most expensive food out there but there definitely is a middle ground that's good for both your budget and your pet.

Are you sure? You think that their pet food isn't made in China?
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets..._pet_food.html

Here is a list of reviewed dog food you should consider to buy:
Best Dog Food of 2017 | Expert Ratings | Reviews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
our little girl will eat almost anything but she does like Moist and Meaty and because she is small a little can goes a long way. We also give yer semi dry or should I say semi moist mixed with the Moist and Meaty. I have never checked where it is manufactured so guess I am a bad mommy. Anyway we have found Amazon by far the best. With no shipping charges we can't go wrong.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:33 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are you sure? You think that their pet food isn't made in China?
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets..._pet_food.html

Here is a list of reviewed dog food you should consider to buy:
Best Dog Food of 2017 | Expert Ratings | Reviews.com
I don't use it, I feed Fromm https://frommfamily.com/ I'm pretty sure that brand wouldn't be considered frugal. Some of the rescues that I work with use it as something that is cost effective. I didn't realize it was made in China. Thank you for letting me know.

Last edited by Rowan123; 07-25-2017 at 08:42 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 08:52 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Costco sells kibble for a low price for the quality. You can compare ingredients to name brands and the Costco is much less expensive. I suspect that the Kirkland and the name brand are made by the same company and you can figure out which high priced brand it is by comparing ingredients on the label.

However, I don't know if OP wants the best price on decent dog food or just the very cheapest dog food. If OP is feeding Old Roy, I don't know why OP bothers to buy treats since OP doesn't mind short changing the dog for nutrition.

My own personal theory is that of I spend more to buy top quality food, I save money on the vet bills and it balances out in the long run.

As fr treats, you can feed small pieces of graham cracker and that is better quality than cheap dog biscuits.

My dogs eat at the same quality level as my family. I suppose if the family is living on ramen noodles, then the dog has to make do with the cheapest possible kibble.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:36 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would be just afraid that, like with human food, when comes to cheap - you get what you pay for.
Lots of pet food is made in China, there is no way to know what exactly is in the cheap pet food produced somewhere in Asia. Chemicals and fillers that do not provide any nutritional benefits? Is there any beef, pork, chicken or fish, even if the label says so? It means that in addition to the risk of tainted food, pet owners also run a risk of feeding foods lacking animal protein or with mislabeled levels of protein.
So, “Made in America†is a safe way to go? No. Wrong again! What does that mean for you? It means that your favorite pet food that is “Made in the USA†might still contain contaminated ingredients imported from China.

I know, most people don't have time to cook, but perhaps cooking for your pets is not only healthier but also much cheaper.
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...n_20568-1.html

12 Facts About Dog Food Made in China – Dog Couture Country
I do watch for China made items. My kibble isn't made in China. My main dog treats aren't, either. I quit buying chicken jerky and make it myself, now.

The kibble & treats I get can be obtained from Sam's, WalMart, Target, etc.

I also am on the recall alert for dog food/treats recall. I've seen over the years that expensive foods are as likely to be recalled as the cheapies. At most risk is those that are raw. Blue Buffalo has had a number of recalls over the years. My dog kibble, though, has never had a recall (Iams Naturals Chicken&Barley).

I did buy some crumbled hide chew sticks at the dollar stores, even tho they are probably risky. They were just recalled, so I've stopped buying those. But Milk Bone is made in the USA.

We should be aware, though, that even tho something is made in the US, some of the ingredients may come from China. But we can only do what we can do, when screening for unsafe products.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Of course you want to get the best value for your money but I would not buy anything made in China for your pets. The risk is just too great that it's been contaminated. If you belong to Costco, Kirkland is a good choice.

When it comes to pet food and treats, cheaper isn't always better. You don't need to buy the most expensive food out there but there definitely is a middle ground that's good for both your budget and your pet.
There is no Costco where I currently live. Even when I lived in a big city, the Costco was too far away to be practical. I suppose I could check out belonging only online, but I don't think you can see all the prices online until after you actually join.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Costco sells kibble for a low price for the quality. You can compare ingredients to name brands and the Costco is much less expensive. I suspect that the Kirkland and the name brand are made by the same company and you can figure out which high priced brand it is by comparing ingredients on the label.

However, I don't know if OP wants the best price on decent dog food or just the very cheapest dog food. If OP is feeding Old Roy, I don't know why OP bothers to buy treats since OP doesn't mind short changing the dog for nutrition.

My own personal theory is that of I spend more to buy top quality food, I save money on the vet bills and it balances out in the long run.

As fr treats, you can feed small pieces of graham cracker and that is better quality than cheap dog biscuits.

My dogs eat at the same quality level as my family. I suppose if the family is living on ramen noodles, then the dog has to make do with the cheapest possible kibble.
The cheapest decent food & treats. Not China treats & food. However, I used to buy very pricey dog kibble, until I learned that far cheaper foods & treats are just as healthy, safe, and the dogs like just as much if not more.

As for graham crackers and such, I don't give the dogs anything with sugar. Bad for their teeth.

I will also give them healthy & safe human foods sometimes, like brown rice mixed w/kibble, sometimes a bit of cheese, or the ultimate snack...baked chicken pieces when I'm having baked chicken.

For their gold level treats, I make their chicken jerky myself. They GO APE over it. Much better than store bought, and healthier, and altho not cheap, they cost less than store bought. And not from China. It's so cute...they can smell it slowly drying in the oven for hours. Then when I open the oven door, they're right there, drooling. These are so easy to make, too.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I just checked Costco online. It's too pricey, compared to Sam's. Dentastix is significantly pricier ($5 more for less quantity). Sam's is less, even with the high sales tax here.

Plus there's just not much in the way of pet food or treats available online. There is no Costco near me. Never has been.

But thanks. At least I checked it out.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,170 times
I buy Ol Roy peanut butter biscuits at Walmart and break them in 1/2. I have 4 large dogs and Milk Bones are too expensive.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:09 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
For their gold level treats, I make their chicken jerky myself. They GO APE over it. Much better than store bought, and healthier, and altho not cheap, they cost less than store bought. And not from China. It's so cute...they can smell it slowly drying in the oven for hours. Then when I open the oven door, they're right there, drooling. These are so easy to make, too.

We do the same... chicken strips in the oven.

Another easy treat to make is "pupcicles". Just mix mashed bananas and peanut butter and then freeze in ice cube trays. It can be a little messy when the dogs eat them, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living