Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 06:00 PM

1,854 posts, read 794,462 times

Advertisements

Used the $5 off on Saturday tonight at Dollar General;
Had trouble going through the store to figure out what to buy to make it over $25 but I just got things I know I'd need soon;
Attached Thumbnails
Reason for your frugality-pxl_20230610_233654173.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 03:29 AM

713 posts, read 395,068 times
I am super frugal because I am dirt poor.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 06-16-2023 at 03:41 AM..

Old 08-26-2023, 12:37 PM

2,050 posts, read 996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I'm not an acquisitive person.

I rarely browse Amazon, only when I'm looking for something I need. I don't like going shopping. New possessions just don't bring me much joy, so I don't seek them out.

I value free time more than stuff.
Ditto to the above. I'm a buyer, not a shopper, if that makes sense. Browsing at stores/websites to look for something I might want makes no sense to me and I've never understood women who "go shopping" as an activity. George Carlin said it best: "We buy ***** we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like."

Old 09-02-2023, 07:14 AM

12 posts, read 7,539 times
I'm living frugal because I'm happy with the necessary things. I figured out that most of the things I bought where no necessary in my life.
I changed my mindset: In the past I was consumerist and I didn't use (at all) most of the things I bought.
My mother acts in the same way and she used to keep all the stuff in boxes and stocks in closets. Then, when you need anything you don't find.

I started to sell everything that I wasn't used. And every sell, brings me more space in my house and more happiness.

Old 09-02-2023, 07:28 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Reason for your frugality
I was born that way. Even when I was a kid delivering papers, I always had money left over from the previous week.
"Frugal", to me, means wisely using everything that you have with the expectation that you may need some tomorrow.
Everyone who is frugal is better off than his counterpart who is not, no matter how much money they have.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:27 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I am careful to not spend money on things I don't want and don't really need, and that leaves more money to buy the things my family does need and it allows me to serve excellent food to my family. We can have a grilled steak every now and again and I don't have to turn the heat off in the winter, because I don't spend $150 a month on the fancy coffee place.

It's important to have a decent cushion of savings. Emergencies happen and it is awfully nice to be able to deal with them instead of going bankrupt or losing your home. Or even to have enough savings to pay for luxuries like not having to let the family pet die because there is no money for the vet.

I am big believer in taking care of myself, and that requires money. So I am careful with my money so that I have enough to cover my expenses and I have enough to cover (hopefully) my future expenses.

Old 09-06-2023, 02:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I am careful to not spend money on things I don't want and don't really need, and that leaves more money to buy the things my family does need...

I am big believer in taking care of myself, and that requires money. So I am careful with my money so that I have enough to cover my expenses and I have enough to cover (hopefully) my future expenses.
interesting discussion, since my FIL and 2nd wife are now age 98.

FIL and wife were always very frugal and responsible (and self employed)

The gold digger 2nd wife grabbed him at the funeral of #1 wife and hasn't let go ever since (25 yrs). (Spending the majority of what FIL brought into marrige (with a pre-nupt). Gold digger brought zero and has never contributed (Even hoarded her own SS)

"He married me, It's his job to care for me"

Her kids inherited that attitude and are today furious that funds might run out after FIL passes. And they are fighting to get all they can. (for perpetuity).

FIL is worn out, not happy, never expected to live to 98 (But has funds to keep them to 100). She requires a lot of his care, ($2000/ month special care) and is very argumentative. He'd probably live another 3 yrs without her nagging him down.

I claim he did very well to care for their greedy mother and even to age 98, when he had expected both to pass away long before today.

Has become a very contenious battle, probably lead to serious lawsuit against his personal assets (of which she is not on the list). According to estate lawyers, she can claim 33%, even tho she's not on the beneficiary, and his trust and pre-nupt were very clear that she brought in nothing and will leave with nothing.

Oregon residents (not a community property state)

How long is long enough to plan for? (I only planned for age 94)

Old 09-07-2023, 03:27 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

"He married me, It's his job to care for me"

Her kids inherited that attitude and are today furious that funds might run out after FIL passes. And they are fighting to get all they can. (for perpetuity).
I would get a really big kick out of seeing their faces when he passes flat broke and has nothing to leave the greedy step kids. Hopefully his check to the funeral home barely clears the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living