Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 04:09 AM

200 posts, read 147,065 times

Advertisements

I have plenty of experience with this in another country, but I didn't want to assume that everything is the same in the US, but what are ways to save on clothes and other used items for a baby/toddler? In this case, we wouldn't be getting hand-me-downs from family and friends and I'm not sure what we'd be gifted by family.

Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 11:52 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Thrift stores, e.g., Goodwill. I used to buy my own kids' clothes at thrift stores. My kids are grown now, but I still shop at Goodwill for myself, and I see a lot of kids' clothes available there.

Also google consignment stores in your area. There are some consignment stores that carry only kids' clothes.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:56 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2018, 02:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
there are various facebook pages that are usually available to your local area where you could get this.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisei View Post
I have plenty of experience with this in another country, but I didn't want to assume that everything is the same in the US, but what are ways to save on clothes and other used items for a baby/toddler? In this case, we wouldn't be getting hand-me-downs from family and friends and I'm not sure what we'd be gifted by family.

My wife used to collect a great deal of baby clothes that she found on the curb for disposal and at garage sales. Over the course of a year, she would collect about 100# of baby and toddler clothing, launder and repair them (if necessary), and give them off to the local Birthright office. In MANY cases, the clothing still had the labels on or were very lightly used. Kids grow so fast that many clothes are too small before they are worn much.

There are many places that you will find good childrens clothes - Goodwill, Salvation Army, Deseret Industries, St. Vincent de Paul, etc.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
If you live in a metropolitan area, Craigs List is a GREAT resource. They sell baby/toddler/children's clothes in "lots", and you can often buy the entire amount of clothing a child needs that year for about $25. Also, other items young kids need like carseats, strollers, etc.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:29 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Old 08-21-2018, 12:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
We have numerous pop-up consignment events that visit town usually twice a year. Companies like Rhea Lana, Just Between Friends, etc. who rent space in warehouses or convention centers and do large-scale consignment. It's like a mega-garage sale, but all the stuff is organized impeccably and in great condition. They usually have social media pages that post when they're happening.

Now that my son is a toddler, thrift and consignment is less useful, because toddlers WEAR STUFF OUT. It is hard to find items that are gently used, at that point. But for babies, they grow so quickly that many items at these events are barely worn, if at all. It's not uncommon to find infant stuff tags-on.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:33 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Do you have an online neighborhood or local mom's group?

Two of my neighbors just announced their pregnancies on our local (about 4 block area) group, and all the other moms are happily clearing out closets and drawers for them - mostly gifting the items, and selling some of them but for a reasonable price.

For people who are happy with their family size, they are usually very happy to give things away, they just need to be asked. I got handmedowns from strangers because one of my son's daycare teachers asked another parent whose sons were a little older than my kid and she was thrilled to get rid of several giant trashbags full of clothes that we used for YEARS.

You'd be surprised at what people might give you esp. if they know you are new to the country and don't have a network of family and friends here. Probably very similar to where you are from - so many parents have a kinship with each other all over the world.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:34 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
I find the best way is just not having kids, it costs nothing that way! Super frugal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living