Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,363 times

Advertisements

Olivio for butter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 04:02 PM

22,832 posts, read 6,434,004 times
I use Scott TP but my DH can't stand it, so I use a coupon to buy Charmin, Cottenelle, Northern, whatever for him. I don't mind Scott.
I want real mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip, although I know a lot of people prefer it.
Rarely do I buy hot dogs, but if I do I want Nathan's.
I would not buy used underwear, shoes, mattresses.
Don't go to thrift stores but do go to garage sales sometimes. For example I find some silverplated round soup spoons that we use almost every day, also some nice pieces of furniture from people moving and downsizing.
I don't dig through trash but have picked up some swivel chairs and other items left out by the trash can.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:13 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,918 times
I cannot stand using cheap thin aluminum foil, plastic wrap or paper towels. I love viva paper towels, but they are so darn expensive that I quite buying them, but will buy the more exp brands usually. Same with the others I have listed. I need to find a good middle-to-upper quality of these that is reasonably priced. For me it is not the name, but the quality. Oh, toilet paper too! Not one particular brand (however I tend to buy more charmin), but just the higher quality ones.

I prefer Jif peanut butter, and will always buy that brand. I just prefer the taste above the others. Dale's steak sauce I always buy - I found one I thought just as good, but DH rebelled!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:00 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
I will never skimp on coffee, TP and shoes...you don't have to get the super expensive stuff, but just the decent quality. Coffee I already have enough problems doing in a half sleep state, if I get stuff I hate drinking I'll just go out. Shoes...well if you take care of your feet they take care of you, and if you buy good quality shoes they cost less over their life then replacing them with cheap crap repeatidly. It doesn't mean I pay full price, I always get things on sale, but I wait to pounce on things I want.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:12 AM

326 posts, read 1,301,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Shoes...well if you take care of your feet they take care of you, and if you buy good quality shoes they cost less over their life then replacing them with cheap crap repeatidly. It doesn't mean I pay full price, I always get things on sale, but I wait to pounce on things I want.
Totally agree... to the same thing

Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I do splurge on Snap-On tools from time to time, but they are as good as you can get and last a lifetime.

Pick up a $3 latte on the way to work every day, from an excellent local stand that really does them right - but I usually bring my lunch..

Old 06-11-2009, 03:07 PM

128 posts, read 638,763 times
Coke or Pepsi. I like both but can't abide other cola.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:33 PM

326 posts, read 1,301,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbet View Post
Coke or Pepsi. I like both but can't abide other cola.
Yes a lot of people say there is no difference but there really is...
My hubby gets a stomach ache if he drinks non name brand soda.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I don't eat processed food, even if it's cheaper. I figure I'd rather be poor and healthy than spend all my money on medical bills.
Good food is important to me too.

I'm picky about shoes too. I don't buy a lot of shoes but when I do they have to be very comfortable and supportive.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:30 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,282 times
Default Must haves.

This is an interesting thread. My husband and I must have JIF creamy peanut butter (like another poster), and I must have Country Time Lemonade Mix (Great Value and other bargain brands don't cut it). Another item I won't skimp on is Welch's Grape Juice. It's expensive, but it's the best, IMHO. We splurge on these items when needed, and use store brands on everything else when possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living