Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times

Advertisements

I will never ever give up my Best Foods Mayonnaise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Oh and since we started w/ TP .....feminine hygiene products.

Sorry if the freaks any of the males out, but really, am I right ladies? Your brand is your brand. No substitutions allowed.
This is probably TMI, but regarding feminine hygiene products and being frugal, have you ever considered a diva cup? I've never used one, but have a few friends who SWEAR by them.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,112,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is probably TMI, but regarding feminine hygiene products and being frugal, have you ever considered a diva cup? I've never used one, but have a few friends who SWEAR by them.
Actually, those reuseable devices are probably the best. I just haven't figured out how to deal with them in public restrooms and out in the woods.

If I lived a more normal and civilized life, that would def. be the way to roll.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
In our house, bicycle dollars are not the same as real dollars. We do look for sales, deals on second hand bike stuff and do some bartering, but our bikes, gear and bicycling clothes are top notch. We also have really good camping gear, a lot of which we got on super sale deals.
We must be related. My everyday socks are smartwool or REI merino wool light hiking socks. These things cost more than $10 a pair but nothing beats light wool socks for keeping feet dry and comfy year round.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:01 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times
Smile Items

My father in law goes to a place in Miami where he buys 30 day old food. It grosses my husband and I out.

I believe in quality over quantity personally.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Charmin. Blue package. Every time.
Name brand coke (Mexican, for that cane sugar taste)
Running shoes. Your feet and knees will thank you.
Sony.
Lol...and feminine products...not skimping on the Always and Playtex...

Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
I know that a lot of people on here like to call themselves frugal but there are usually some purchases or items where you just draw the line. What purchase do you just say no, this is not an item that I will skimp on? Mine is toilet paper. I cannot and will not use cheap or rough toilet paper for my rear. I only use Charmin, the one with the teddy bears in the tv commercials. Unless someone here can recommend a cheaper equivalent I will continue to buy Charmin. LOL

With a family member w/hemorroids (sp??), soft TP is a must! Cottonelle (w/the ridges going the length of the roll), Northern, and Charmin are what we use with Charmin being the least favorite as it seems to be the thinnest/weakest & also makes the most 'lint' to clean up.

I'm prone to sinus infections/really runny nose several times a year, so we almost always have a couple boxes of Puffs around the house, tho the past couple years I've just been stashing nearly empty rolls of the soft TP around the house & just use a couple squares of that to wipe my nose rather than about 1/4 of a sheet of more expensive Puffs.

A GOOD paring knife, larger knife, scissors, and at least 350 thread count sheets (can find on sale very reasonably, now days, now that you can get 800++ TC in many stores) are the main splurges I can think of. Oh, & I have foot problems so have to have at least a couple pairs of halfway sturdy shoes...one tennies & 1 dressy.

I guess we more than make up for those splurges in that probably 3/4 of our clothes come from the 2nd hand store. We've been very lucky that even his last 2 dress suits (for both sons' weddings) came from there for $7.50 & $9 each and sport coats & dress pants for his job run $3.50-$5.00.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:37 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,532 times
Hey y'all.
Nothing like Duke's Mayo for those yummy garden fresh 'mater and bacon sandwiches. My city hubby is hooked on them now too!
Instead of soda, I have started making and drinking sweet tea with Splenda -- saves calories and money over sodas.
We just moved to the country and have two freezers. I'm going to try to find a reputable processor here from whom we can buy both deer and beef at good prices to stock up on meats. When we buy, I always try to buy organic and lean meats. I drive a 9 year old car and 2nd hand clothes but I believe good, fresh food is important to our health. I can't buy all organic produce but I buy what I can.
Our animals get only Science Diet dog/cat food because of their ages. That is definitely a splurge but a necessity I believe.
I think my philosophy is to buy the least amount of stuff possible to live simply and contentedly. The stuff we do need to buy should be good quality and well maintained to last as long as possible.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:23 AM

48 posts, read 108,196 times
New here, but figured I'd jump in.

I buy as much organic food as possible. I find more coupons for them recently and many stores have their own brands. Walmart usually has decent prices on organics, though the organic produce there isn't very good. However, I don't buy much organic cheese. It's hard to find and for the amount we consume in this house, I just can't justify paying for it. I'd go broke.

I did switch from Tide to Cheer a few years ago. It looks like I should give Purex a try.

I won't buy poor quality shoes or clothing. If it's going to have a hole in it in a month or it's going to hurt your feet, then it's not worth it.

I recently switched from microwave popcorn to using an air popper. It took the kids a few times to adjust to it, but they don't mind the no salt or butter anymore.

I think I'll be frequenting this board for more ideas on how to cut back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living