Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 AM

172 posts, read 509,786 times

Advertisements

I know that a lot of people on here like to call themselves frugal but there are usually some purchases or items where you just draw the line. What purchase do you just say no, this is not an item that I will skimp on? Mine is toilet paper. I cannot and will not use cheap or rough toilet paper for my rear. I only use Charmin, the one with the teddy bears in the tv commercials. Unless someone here can recommend a cheaper equivalent I will continue to buy Charmin. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:32 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times
A guy around here drives his truck with a huge logo "If you don't like loggers, try wiping your a$$es with plastic".

Old 06-06-2009, 11:38 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times
On another note, I will probably never like reading books on something like Kindle. I need the physical touch of paper and bound. A local newspaper on paper, too, in the morning. Others, larger ones, like WSJ or FT - online is fine.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 AM

156 posts, read 717,653 times
We buy Sam's Club brand toilet paper, and no one in my family has complained. :lol I used to be a Tide detergent devotee, but then tried Cheer, and it worked just as well. But then, I read up on Purex (which is cheaper than Tide and Cheer), and it works fine, and is much cheaper.

I only buy organic ketchup, Ragu spaghetti sauce and Smart Balance butter spread...those are the only things I can think of off the top of my head where I have to have a specific brand.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:00 PM

458 posts, read 1,670,466 times
lol. Charmin is the big one at my house. I tried to buy something a little bit cheaper once and my husband complained. "It's like wiping with a cheap paper towel! It HURTS!"

Old 06-06-2009, 01:02 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
I don't mind the brand as long as it is two-ply.

As far as using other cheaper brands of products....all you can really do is try them one time. To my surprise, a great many reduced priced items are just as good as the name brand stuff. Then there are times it is just cheap crap. (no toilette paper pun intended)

Old 06-06-2009, 01:32 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
Quality shoes and clothing. Cheap crap falls apart and isn't comfortable.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:23 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,294,063 times
A big one for me is milk and soda. I LOVE milk and soda bottled in glass bottles, and even though it's a lot more expensive, I buy Coca Cola and IBC cream soda and root beer in the glass bottles six packs in the summer time. We also have a dairy here in RI that still delivers milk to your door, old fashioned milk box and all, and again, it's more expensive, but it is SO much better that I refuse to buy it in plastic jugs. The glass bottles keep the drinks soooooo much colder and fresher - anyone too young to remember milk or soda in glass bottles has no idea what they're missing! Anyone older then about 40 will back me up on this!!

Last edited by treasurekidd; 06-06-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 06-06-2009, 08:00 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,682 times
Mayonaise. Gotta have Hellman's. Have tried several cheap alternatives and just can't do it.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I don't mind the brand as long as it is two-ply.

As far as using other cheaper brands of products....all you can really do is try them one time. To my surprise, a great many reduced priced items are just as good as the name brand stuff. Then there are times it is just cheap crap. (no toilette paper pun intended)
My father worked for P&G and we never had anything but Charmin and White Cloud. I could not believe how quickly you could go through a roll.

Then I married into a farm family with a septic system. They always used the Walgreen's septic toilet paper. Not much different in price but lasts about 5 times more. And it doesn't clog up the toilet.

I also use the Purex detergent which on sale is about 40% of the Tide/Cheer price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living