Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 29,181 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving dinner at my brothers house so I picked some collards and made Ham Hocks and Collard Greens. its all I can do to stay out of them tonight.

So delicious. I still have a few pickings left and my Mustards are still good. We've had some frost and it really makes the greens get sugary.

Just discovered the website and am enjoying the variety. SST St Thomas must be a paradise for gardeners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
There's papayas, bananas, green beans, tomatoes, beets and lettuce from the garden today. Also some celery and avocados. Some of this is yard food as opposed to garden food, though. We sort of plant a lot of stuff around the yard as decorative plants and food falls from the plants but they aren't in a traditional garden planted in rows or anything. Oh, yeah, tangerines and lemons, too, but those never seem to stop giving fruit. The edible landscape isn't tended all that well, it gets mowed around and bunny "berries" (bunny manure) gets tossed around the landscape and that's about it for fertilizer. Seems to be working, though. The green beans, tomatoes, beets, etc., are actually in raised bed gardens, though, so they are official garden food.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:37 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There's papayas, bananas, green beans, tomatoes, beets and lettuce from the garden today. Also some celery and avocados. Some of this is yard food as opposed to garden food, though. We sort of plant a lot of stuff around the yard as decorative plants and food falls from the plants but they aren't in a traditional garden planted in rows or anything. Oh, yeah, tangerines and lemons, too, but those never seem to stop giving fruit. The edible landscape isn't tended all that well, it gets mowed around and bunny "berries" (bunny manure) gets tossed around the landscape and that's about it for fertilizer. Seems to be working, though. The green beans, tomatoes, beets, etc., are actually in raised bed gardens, though, so they are official garden food.
I noticed a lot of people refer to a "garden" as primarily a vegetable garden/plot. I think of a garden as primarily a space w/ nicely arranged ornamental plants.

My family were small-time farmers, so it is a little bit of a stretch to think of growing food as gardening. Gardening is enjoyable, and growing veggies for me is too much like work. My favorite part's picking out the seeds and hopefully actually getting something edible.

Don't feel bad. Almost all my fruit trees and herbs are in my ornamental gardens, as well. I still post about them.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,519,032 times
I'm container gardening in Florida. Just planted about 4-5 weeks ago. First tomato popped out today. So far just have some buttercrunch lettuce ready to eat. Growing lots of tomatoes, bell peppers red, green and orange, green beans, yellow beans and lettuce. Poured fish emulsion on today for the first time. Ewwwwww. Trying to go organic, used vigaro organic potting soil, new product here locally. So glad to get away from miracle gro.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Today was more green beans and beets. Also more papayas; some for us, some for the chickens. I've also discovered bunnies like citrus. They've been munching on tangerines as well as grapefruits. The trees are loaded right now so we're getting tangerines, grapefruits and loads of lovely oranges. Some sort of really sweet and tangy navel oranges.

In the front raised bed garden, I've been noticing one squash plant is huge and much bigger than the other. It took me a while to notice, but the much bigger squash is planted among the green beans. I'm suspecting the beans have been fixing nitrogen in the soil which the big squash has been using to grow larger than the other one.

I always consider a garden to be somewhat smaller than a farm, but it can either be a vegetable or ornamental garden. Since the topic of conversation is what the garden fed us today, I'm expecting most folks will be discussing their veggie garden. It's always nice to mix in a few flowers with the veggies to encourage bees to visit. We also mix in vegetables with our flowers.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
This is how warm it has been here in NWA...We got about 12 tomatoes from a friend a few blocks from our house last week. yes, they are small, but they are wonderful. I have never heard of fresh tomatoes, this far north in Dec unless they are being grown in a hot house...Nita

Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times
Most of these:

Supatra's Thai Vegetable Guide | Supatra Johnson

Self-sufficiency is big here.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is how warm it has been here in NWA...We got about 12 tomatoes from a friend a few blocks from our house last week. yes, they are small, but they are wonderful. I have never heard of fresh tomatoes, this far north in Dec unless they are being grown in a hot house...Nita
You are very lucky! We've had mild temps up in midwest as well probably could have planted some late plants that would have made it. Who would have thunk it?

Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,219,292 times
No fair all we get in our garden today is 8 - 14" of snow...

Old 04-20-2013, 05:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
I ate some baby spinach and some of the parsley that overwintered from last year. Meow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden