Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times

Advertisements

Well folks, I just read an insulting remark in my reputation comments, but don't know who posted it---I guess someone still doesn't "get" the point of this thread-----what's the saying? "Book smart and life dumb"? I will desist from posting any further in this thread ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Well folks, I just read an insulting remark in my reputation comments, but don't know who posted it---I guess someone still doesn't "get" the point of this thread-----what's the saying? "Book smart and life dumb"? I will desist from posting any further in this thread ;-)
LOL, my mother used to tell my dad he had "Plenty of book sense but no common sense." PC, there is ALWAYS someone who likes to strike a "match' under others just to get a rise out of another person. Sometimes I think those at CD may be doing it to keep the debate/arguing going

Old 03-24-2013, 06:31 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
I think it's pretty sad that this thread just because a bunch of not-so-veiled comments bashing people who are debunking their theories.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:35 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,383 times
( speaking of human urine)

Old timers were scared of getting blood poisoning from cuts.
It was believed the first thing to do when you got a cut was to pee on it. ( it had to be your own pee to work)

Old timer said there never was a case of blood poisoning when that was done.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
( speaking of human urine)

Old timers were scared of getting blood poisoning from cuts.
It was believed the first thing to do when you got a cut was to pee on it. ( it had to be your own pee to work)

Old timer said there never was a case of blood poisoning when that was done.
I've read varying reports about human urine being sterile, but only after the first couple of seconds to clear out any bacteria from the ah tube. I can see where rinsing a cut with urine would be better than doing nothing, it would definitely help decontaminate it.
I think I will just stick to soap and water

bill

Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Chicken wise I "goose" the plant sets that are established with fish oil fertilizer, giving them a green growth boost.
Upon "releasing the hounds" the chickens scratch their way through the garden, eating the soft, stringy weeds trying to reach the sunlight.

I call it my batchelors' method of lazy gardening.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 PM

61 posts, read 115,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
The Farmer's Almanac is written and printed a couple of miles from my home, I had a brother-in-law that worked there and gave me a copy every xmas.

bill
I actually print the Farmer's Alm. Never thought about taking the time to read it.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Ack! Shouldn't there be a copy of the Farmer's Almanac in the break room? I always like reading it, not that I follow many of the suggestions, but it's fun to read.

When I wand old timer tricks to make my vegetables flourish, I ask my friend June. She's pretty old timey.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,896 times
I love reading this thread. While some of it may be "hog-wash" to some, the de-bunkers should at least let us have our fun!

Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
I remember reading about some type of vegetable that would produce much better if you hit it and broke a few leaves, I guess it triggers a reproduce now effect, I want to say it is Broccoli but I'm not sure.
anyone heard of this?

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden