Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,445,095 times

Advertisements

roadrat - reading comprehension must be a 'science' to you...

Quote:
...the laws of physics do not in any way forbid bumblebee flight; there are no papers that deny bumblebee flight, and no scientist has done so... a full aerodynamic calculation will show that the bumblebee's flight works perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
I love all types of old-time tips - gardening, cooking, cleaning, etc. Old folks were much more resourceful and didn't run to the store for the latest chemical to solve their problem. What could have been a really nice thread has been hijacked by a few know-it-alls that must prove their knowledge is superior to those who rely on natural and old-time methods.

For those who want to grow using the scientific method, fine. For those who want to try other methods, go for it. I believe that a true gardener knows that successful gardening is achieved by lots of trial and error and is an ongoing learning process.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
The "bumblebee argument", in pseudoscience, states that the laws of aerodynamics prove that the bumblebee can't fly, as it does not have the required capacity (in terms of wing area or flapping speed). Consequently, therefore, science can be shown to be in error, providing a loophole for pseudoscientific "explanations"...
Just because you have taken to calling previous generations of scientist work "pseudoscience" does not mean that they were not scientist. Do you concider Issac Newton a Pseudo-scientist?
At some point way back when a person (possibly a scientist) was studying the Bumble Bee and could not understand why it could fly (with the knowledge they had at the time) and so put the question out to the scientific community to find out the answer (this would explain your so called myth that has been around for so long) once science advanced and they knew the answer, the mystery was solved.

My reading comprehension is just fine, as is my understanding of history and common sense and how myth's and old wives tales come into being.
Maybe you should join us in the real world and learn some common sense, it will do you good

bill

Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,356,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
The OP never says where they place them, how many or what type but if I were to do so I would have placed it right under the seedling. I have planted seeds only to find a fungus had over taken them so a pinch of sulfur under them would have been benefical. And yes when I was a teen, which was many moons ago, science was confused that insect could fly when by scientific theory they were not supposedly able to do so. Now they understand this. This how quickly theories can change or become obsolete.
You have no way of knowing if trhe sulphur in a match head is (a) enough, or (b) a form of sulphur that is beneficial to plants. Buy some elemental sulphur to be sure. Save the matches for lighting the grill.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
You have no way of knowing if trhe sulphur in a match head is (a) enough, or (b) a form of sulphur that is beneficial to plants. Buy some elemental sulphur to be sure. Save the matches for lighting the grill.
would it not be good science to study putting matches under some seedlings and not under others in a controlled environment to see if (a) there is enough, or (b) it is the right form of sulphur. Instead you advise going to the giant megamart and buy, buy, buy. In case you haven't noticed the economy is not that great we all cannot afford to run down to the store to buy your fancy chemicals. and besides what is the smallest size container of sulphur the garden store has to sell 1lb, 5lb if I am only planting a doz. tomatoes maybe a free book of matches will be plenty.
Do you really want every backyard garden shed packed with aging chemicals that we only use a teaspoon full a season.

bill

Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM

205 posts, read 479,654 times
I was expecting this to be a fun little thread, go figure some "think they know it all "master" gardeners" would come along and ruin all the fun right off the bat. Couldn't make it past page 2.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,512 times
I, for one, appreciate when subject matter experts debunk certain theories. I can buy a 5lb bag of sulphur for about $6, if I needed it, and would amend the soil under my azaleas and hydrangeas as well. Don't think it expires all that quickly, either. It's probably the one thing I don't need for my garden either - I tend to stock up on lime for the plants that aren't too fond of my soil.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I believe that scientific theory had said that the Bumble Bee should not be able to fly.

bill
Your are RIGHT!! Thank you for jarring my memory

Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,291 times
Quote:
would it not be good science to study putting matches under some seedlings and not under others in a controlled environment to see if (a) there is enough, or (b) it is the right form of sulphur. Instead you advise going to the giant megamart and buy, buy, buy. In case you haven't noticed the economy is not that great we all cannot afford to run down to the store to buy your fancy chemicals. and besides what is the smallest size container of sulphur the garden store has to sell 1lb, 5lb if I am only planting a doz. tomatoes maybe a free book of matches will be plenty.
Do you really want every backyard garden shed packed with aging chemicals that we only use a teaspoon full a season.

bill
Only a GOOD researcher seeking the truth would do such a thing as testing a theory I believe TMG doesn't know the definition of a theory is SUPPOSition of ideas INTENDED to explain something and a hypothesis is defined as a SUPPOSition or PROPOSED explanantion made on the basis of LIMITED evidence as a STARTING POINT of further investigation because if she did, she would have ended this debate some time ago.

Last edited by eyewrist; 03-19-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,356,424 times
Quote:

bill
I never said a thing about going to a megamart. You're engaging in the most immature form of debate and attributing me with things I never said. Get some elemental sulphur. Get it at a local nursery. Make sure it's a form of sulphur the plants can take up, or didn't you know that minerals need to be in specific form for plants to use them?

Besides, I doubt very much your tomatoes even need extra sulphur. Do a soil test. It's silly to do anything to your soil until you know what you're starting with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden