Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 07:33 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times

Advertisements

The garden I worked at provided food to the nearby food banks, it was located behind a church in a residential neighborhood so we were surprised when the homeless moved in and left more than empty cereal boxes behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 07:43 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times
Bears stripped the plums off tree at our old mountain cabin...left a few big bear patties next to it with seeds too. Deer have ravaged the apple trees up there good too.

Have a 10 by 20 garden plot at local community center for many years...a few veggies were missing over the years but not too bad.

I would occasionally take tomatoes from some of the garden plots in there too...but only the plants that obviously are neglected with many dropped tomatoes. Some there plant tomatoes then never come back...hate the waste that occurs with some gardeners that bail on their gardens!

Old 06-12-2021, 08:06 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I worked with a man we called the local "Ewell Gibbons". Some of you older folks might remember his "reminds me of the taste of wild hickory nuts" commercials. This man knew where all the pecan and walnut trees were and every road that had asparagus growing on the right of way. There was a popcorn company in our county. One day we were working near their grain bins full of popcorn (I was working with the highway dept.). This man went over to one bin not very full yet and got more than his fair share in a grass sack, probably about 10 lbs or so. On another job he walked out in an orchard with a box from the back of the crew cab, and came back with that box full of peaches and nectarines. He's also one of those who believe the first two rows of corn along the side of the road are for anybody. lol

Old 06-12-2021, 08:46 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
We had lilacs growing by our mailbox. One day, my dogs go wild. I look out of my front window and a woman is cutting my lilacs. She told my husband that leaving them on the shrub was a waste and the flowers would be better appreciated in her office. He sent her on her way sans flowers.

My second: We put our house on the market in late July. During the first week, when our realtor showed it daily, we went on a vacation. A prospective buyer our took every unripe tomato, eggplant and pepper. Literally, they took the whole summer's worth of veggies.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:09 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Used to have younger neighbor girls hop my back fence and raid my loquat trees. I was just glad they didn't get hurt when hopping the fence. I don't care if they take the loquats as long as my liability is minimized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden