Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 05:52 AM

334 posts, read 716,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Some areas have city ordinances against them.
Which ones? Specific names of those locations please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 AM

334 posts, read 716,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is mud. View Post
Mulch? Ever heard of it? You mow your lawn full of leaves and it nourishes it.
Nonsense. The decaying leaves make the soil too acidic for grass to grow well.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
What on earth did people ever, ever do the thousands and thousands of years before the invention of leaf blowers? I simply can't imagine!

What a primitive world it must have been, full of yards which occasionally need to be re-seeded, and such dire lack of time for extremely important things such as computer gaming and watching television!

The depths of Hell must have been full of people who never even bothered to remove a single leaf from their property! Or even worse, infidels who used reel mowers or rakes! Or those villains who make their own compost!

O, what wondrous times in which we live!

All Hail the Great God Leafblower! I am deafened by your power.
I suppose you cut your grass with scissors.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I will be quite happy to stand outside of your house and blow an air horn for 45 minutes straight two or three times a week every week for at least two months a year. What time would be best, 7:00 on a Saturday morning? Just tell me where you are and I'll be there, no problem, ok?
Oh get a grip, most towns have noise ordinances and as such a leaf blower, lawn mower etc can not be running at 7AM on a weekend.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 AM

Did the idea of CLOSING your window while neighbor is leaf blowing ever cross any minds

When my husband or neighbor mows the lawn I close my windows because my eyes get all itchy from the grass when it's mowed, a few hours later i open them back up.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 AM

126,269 posts, read 19,039,201 times
Just yesterday they talked in our Canadian News about the Leaf Blowers and how they actually affect our health. Especially people who are asthmatic.Leaf Blowers engines release 100% of their tailgate emissions directly into the environment.. They pollute more than cars.Noise level is horrible. They offer electrical Leaf Blowers around home use,I guess not practical for businesses. But why not go back to manual labor,sweeping and raking and hire in that special time more manpower. People gladly always looking for short term jobs

Old 10-09-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Just yesterday they talked in our Canadian News about the Leaf Blowers and how they actually affect our health. Especially people who are asthmatic.Leaf Blowers engines release 100% of their tailgate emissions directly into the environment.. They pollute more than cars.Noise level is horrible. They offer electrical Leaf Blowers around home use,I guess not practical for businesses. But why not go back to manual labor,sweeping and raking and hire in that special time more manpower. People gladly always looking for short term jobs
Because many people simply do not have the time needed to do it manually by raking, also many people in this economy can not afford to hire anyone to do it for them, just about any landscaping company is going to use leaf blowers as well.

We do have one but it is electric.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:40 AM

126,269 posts, read 19,039,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Because many people simply do not have the time needed to do it manually by raking, also many people in this economy can not afford to hire anyone to do it for them, just about any landscaping company is going to use leaf blowers as well.

We do have one but it is electric.
I am just dreaming here,wouldn't it be great if this would be done as a Volunteer job by students? Here in Canada students have to have at least a minimum of 40 hours of Volunteer work done in order to graduate from High School.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I am just dreaming here,wouldn't it be great if this would be done as a Volunteer job by students? Here in Canada students have to have at least a minimum of 40 hours of Volunteer work done in order to graduate from High School.
Yes, especially for the elderly who like to keep their homes looking tidy and neat but can no longer spend as many hours out side doing it ditto for handicapped people

Old 10-09-2013, 05:33 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
I used my gas-powered lawn mower, gas-powered string trimmer, and gas-powered leaf blower today; and in remembrance of all the whiners I tidied up my neighbors curbs and drives with the leaf blower too. I can hardly wait to start up my gas-powered pressure washer - that machine will be running for hours.

Maybe this weekend I'll help out mother nature with my gas-powered chainsaw and some Roundup - taking out invasive species at a local nature preserve...

'Volunteer' work to graduate high school? It's not 'volunteering' if you're forced to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden