Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:00 AM

9,720 posts, read 14,259,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I love caladium. You have inspired me to try them next year. I can keep them in the garage over the winter. They have so many color combinations and even different kinds of beautiful leaves and if they over winter well they are a good buy.
That's great! Me, too! This was my first caladium success. I love the white/green veined ones, and the burgundy! I tend to overdo it many times in various aspects of my life. This is one of them. I'm addicted now to caladiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
I've bought tubers in a bag. I'd stare at a tuber and try to determine what was top or bottom. How do you tell when there are no old roots? Does it matter which side is up?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
funny thing I had to do in horticulture school. We had to plant all sorts of bulbs and tubers every which way and keep records and then go dig them up some time later. They all righted themselves to point to the soil surface and the heat of the sun. Since then I don't take much care cause they can rearrange themselves somehow. Don't remember exactly how but they did. I'm sure there is a scientific name for this phenom but that was 38 years ago and I've forgotten it.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:47 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
To those of you who have dug up and kept caladium bulbs over the winter, would hanging them in mesh bags in the garage work, even if the garage got down to freezing several times over the winter.

Guess I could hang them inside in the spare bedroom closet, but that seems kind of musty.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
I've never had any luck with leaving them in the ground OR storing them.

I just get a few bags at Lowes every stpring. I have them in my front flowerbed and they've done well this year. Very showy and pretty. I bought a pot of them and they did ok, but not as good as the ones in my flowerbed. 100 degree heat and not enough water probably. I wouldn't buy them in a pot planter again.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:32 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
I've wintered over caladium and elephant ears for years. I'd wait until it got cool in the fall, but not cold, lift the whole plant for caladium, cut the leaves off and lift for EE, then dry spread out on the basement floor. Once they were good and dry, I'd strip the dried leaves and wrap them in newspaper, multiple bulbs as long as they weren't touching. Put the wrapped bulbs in a plastic crate. They all did fine. This was in Wash, DC.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:18 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,254,414 times
I am a caladium nut and will try to remember to take a photo of my porch. I have tried and tried to dig up and overwinter tubers but no matter what I do, I end up with a mushy tuber that I have to throw out. I have given up and just spend a small fortune at happinessfarms.com every year. LOL

I believe your caladium is "Kathleen". The pink will fade as the leaves age. They will also fade if they get too much sun. I have learned to put my red and pink caladiums in deep shade. Which fortunately, my front porch gets.

Caladiums and daylilies. 2 plant types I am crazy about and which I can never get enough of. Someone once described gardening as "cheap therapy" and I have to agree!

Old 08-14-2017, 07:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
The secret to tuber storage is dryness. You must dry them very well before storing them - I spread them out on newspapers, well spread, until they're totally dry, as shown by leaves dry to the base. Then store them loosely wrapped in newspaper in a dry place. Also, they should never get below 50 degrees or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden