Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times

Advertisements

I hate all roses.

They are pest magnets. And they are ugly. They have thorns that attack you. The climbing ones quickly get out of control with even more pests and thorns and ugly leaves and stems.

What we put up with for the flower. Not worth it to me. After learning I hated them, whenever I bought a new place, I quickly removed all traces of roses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 12:31 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
My neighbor's creeping-wifey is always coming onto our property no matter how we try to discourage it from doing so

Old 10-17-2014, 02:16 PM

48 posts, read 125,565 times
Ivy - We have either English or Boston - it was here when we moved in. It will not die.

I didn't know Trumpet Vines were an issue. We have some(I think) and they seem to do okay. They seemed to have been specifically planted and do come back every year. But maybe our zone 4 freeze keeps them in check.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:32 PM

185 posts, read 245,278 times
Hi denverain,

I hate sweet gum trees too. Another tree nurseries should only sell the male tree only they are not nearly as messy. The female trees are a nightmare in Ca. But the male tree is not as messy and does turn a bright red orange when temps drop below 40 at night in late OCT.

Same is true with the Ginkgo tree.. The female tree has horrible smelly fruit that seeds all over, the male is mildly mannered not a mess an much easier to grow. It grows very slow. I've seen them grown as Bonsai .

Old 10-17-2014, 03:04 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,555 times
English ivy, vinca vines, bind weed or morning glories. Anything that spreads out of control.

When I lived in Michigan the cottonwoods dumped mass amounts of fluff all over everything.

Right now I am fighting some perennial ornamental grass that is green and about 4 inches tall. It clumps and spreads and spreads.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:22 PM

Bamachina,

You named some goods ones to add to the hater list...u have a lot of noxious weeds and trees to deal with. If u can get rid of the cotton wood trees in the area that a huge maintenance issue solved there.but ... I'm assuming it's the season for many trees in UR area probably not in UR yard.

English ivy I just pour right from the container no mixing with water poison for hard woody stemmed vines. If u have a large trunk drill holes in it and pour woody poison inside. Then its gone by next spring....usually. Every once in awhile a leaf will show up...Sometimes a little creeper will show up and poison it ASAP. As much as some cannot use herbicides for one reason or another there are other alternatives. See online natural herbicides.

The vines is constant spraying issue once they flower and go to seed who know where they will pop up next spring. Sometimes it's a grab bag of what to do.

What do u do to get rid of list of plants?

Old 10-18-2014, 12:05 AM

I have two more plants to add on the hater list. I remember from my mom's house.

How about the Jacaranda monster tree. Her neighbor has a huge one and it's messy, messy,messy ..leaves constantly littering her gutters and roof. Then the purple flowers if you don't wash them of UR car right away they stick like glue and take little bits of the paint off with them .

The jackhammer worst of all plants is the Bamboo.. This plant grows fast and shoots pop up and will fill an entire yard if not kept in check. There is no way to dig up all the roots ,even with a jackhammer. If you miss one little bit of a root the Bamboo will shoot up over and over. Another plant that should not be sold by nurseries to defenseless gardeners. Gardeners should only grow them in steel pots. Or concrete .

They are pretty in pots as house plants.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:00 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Pine tree in yard. They drop sap a lot; needles and their limbs break of easily in freeze or a storm.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:55 PM

Oh yes i have several pine tress around the perimeter of the property. After a wind storm is go play pick up sticks, several truck loads. The pine needles blow on the roof & clog the gutters. Aint no gutter system pine needle oroof invented yet!

Old 10-19-2014, 11:49 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Guinea grass is evil. They brought it into our state because it grows fast and it is supposed to be for the cows to eat. But, most folks don't have a cow in their yard. It grows over ten feet tall. I tried digging a clump of it up with the backhoe and the backhoe choked. It has little stickers on the stems so you get slivery stickers when you clear it out by hand. The wind blows seeds everywhere.

We just bought a new house. It has guinea grass, English ivy and some sort of creeper vine with pink trumpet flowers on it. The back yard hasn't been mowed for twenty seven years. Arrrgh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden