Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:06 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I saw a few front yards with pom-pom shaped small trees or bushes. These had multiple branches (or multiple specimen planted in the same spot) and at the end of each branch there was a green spherical canopy. The whole thing was like 4-5 feet tall. I have seen it a few times around the city of San Jose here in California.

My problem is I cannot find out what type of tree or bush it was, and I cannot find anything similar on websites like Lowe's with local stock/delivery. I was searching for bonsai trees, juniper trees and others. I saw it on a few eastern European websites (in languages that I don't understand), but nothing in local US/California-based shops.

The other thing is, the same tree type in image search looks very different. Do they cut the canopy into spheres, or it grows like this?
For example the one on this website looks like it, but if I search for the same name I get results of trees looking very different:

This:
Ponuka rastlín - LANTANA-záhrady - design a realizácia záhrad
versus this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Pinu...w=1252&bih=715
look different.

So what type of tree is it, or how do they make it look like this?
Since you are in the bay area with a nice moderate climate, try Australian tea trees, Leptospermum laevigatum, I take care of yards here and used to in the Oakland hills and they are often used in topiary to create ball shaped trees or umbrella shaped trees. Get one with plenty of branch spread and isolate the growth on the branches to the tips and over time keep trimming that growth back till it maintains the shape of pompoms, the bonus is that tea trees like to bloom on cut foliage's regrowth and timing can force the pom poms to bloom, they come it whites, reds, pinks and combo's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden