Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 12:53 AM

752 posts, read 2,086,640 times

Advertisements

Do you have anything like this growing in your yard? If not, you're blessed

It's not only not esthetically pleasing to me, but about three-fourths of it is already dead and brown (must be that the former owner before me planted it some 10 years ago, and maybe it's on its last leg. Hopefully. I have made some progress with a saw, trimmers, and other choice tools, and am down to two feet of this mess. I wish I could just pour some white vinegar over the "green" part and hope it will just die off naturally. It has scratchy, sharp fronds, and you can't take this on without long sleeves and jeans and work gloves. Any ideas??
Attached Thumbnails
Getting rid of yucky old pampas grass in backyard-pampas-grass.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 01:31 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
I'm a party of one, I like pampas grass, especially the pink ones.

But pampas needs its space. A lot of it.

Most of the problem with pampas is that over the years it will get really huge and shaggy, outgrowing its designated area. Like yours.

Dig it up. if a regular shovel doesn't work, wedge around the edges with a sharpshooter to sever the root ball, and then dig it up.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Default just for fun

Pampas grass done right:

Pampas grass done wrong:

I think our OP will sympathize with this:

Old 05-10-2015, 03:17 AM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
If you just want it out, as opposed to replacing it with another plant, you can reportedly cut it down to within a few inches, and then run a lawnmower over it whenever it starts to grow again. That will eventually starve the roots to the point of death. (Of course, with-hold water, too.)

Walter Reeves Pampass Grass Removal Advice

Old 05-10-2015, 07:59 AM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Do you have anything like this growing in your yard? If not, you're blessed

It's not only not esthetically pleasing to me, but about three-fourths of it is already dead and brown (must be that the former owner before me planted it some 10 years ago, and maybe it's on its last leg. Hopefully. I have made some progress with a saw, trimmers, and other choice tools, and am down to two feet of this mess. I wish I could just pour some white vinegar over the "green" part and hope it will just die off naturally. It has scratchy, sharp fronds, and you can't take this on without long sleeves and jeans and work gloves. Any ideas??

What you have shown is the growth habit. It dies down in the Fall/Winter and you cut the dead stuff off prior to resprouting in the Spring. Some do it in the Fall while others, like me, wait until late Winter to give some visual interest then. Let the new growth go and the older brown growth is hidden.

As suggested, you'll likely have to dig it out to get rid of it. That can turn into a chore with an older plant.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 PM

479 posts, read 431,902 times
Dig up that root ball—all of it—and burn the sucker. Then, dig up and burn any sign of new growth as soon as you find it. Pampas grass is an invasive species (where I live, anyway...) and it will take over from native plants. Each little white puffy "torch" flower carries many, many seedlings... it's easily spread and will take over...

Old 05-12-2015, 01:43 PM

Well, I guess I can take a hint..I have read many soucres so far including thee who talk about that "root ball" that needs to be conquered...

And since I live in a neighborhood with "code enforcement" and a "homeowner's association" in effect that prohibits burning...I will be opting for that root ball extraction, no doubt

Old 05-12-2015, 03:35 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Well, I guess I can take a hint..I have read many soucres so far including thee who talk about that "root ball" that needs to be conquered...

And since I live in a neighborhood with "code enforcement" and a "homeowner's association" in effect that prohibits burning...I will be opting for that root ball extraction, no doubt

What's funny is that what you did trying to get rid of it (cutting it back to a couple feet after it browned off) is exactly what you do to rejuvenate the plant and get it ready for Spring.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:39 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,855 times
I had 2 Pampas plants grown side by side to cover a 500 gallon propane pump in our front yard, courtesy of the previous owner. The plants were HUGE but half dead, just a complete eyesore and eventually the propane guy couldn't get do his job without being cut so he gave me a good excuse to get rid of them. First I checked for critters and snakes (glad I did because there were some), then I cut the plant stalks down, used an ax (yes) and a sharpshooter and dug it all up. The rootball was enormous and all grown together from the 2 plants so I had to dig really far out to make sure I got all of it. Over time I checked to make sure there weren't any new shoots and it eventually died out. It was a chore but worth it. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2015, 12:43 AM

Well, to date I have been suffering with the common cold and so was absent temporarily...Fully recovered now, you can imagine my horror when I went outside today and saw green regrowth shoots coming up that must have taken only a week to reveal themselves. Good God, that is prolific...If I am not mistaken, there are seeds within the cream-colored plumes that can be carried across for miles and re-sow wherever they land; about like dandelion seeds...

It's aside from the topic but the term "pampas" makes me think of a certain landscape environment in the more rural, impoverished areas of South America...wasn't it said that the famous First Lady of Argentina, Eva Peron, went from the dirt-poor pampas to the presidential palace? I did digress a little there, but that could be part of why I find this ornamental plant so unappealing (and when parts of it have turned brown, talk about an eyesore in the backyard...) Now if it sprouted pretty brown cattails, that would be another story.

As they say, persistence wins, and if I persist long enough, I will be that much closer to getting to plant some nice berry bushes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden