Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:47 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Yes that's what I purchased. Obviously I have no idea what wet feet means Most nurseries in MA are closed (the ones I know of) right now because it's winter and business is too slow to stay open which is why i purchased from home depot's websie. If I plant them in pots (NOW i understand ) they won't get wet feet?
Yes, but add something to the bottom of the pots like gravel or bits of broken clay pot to stop the soil plugging the drainage holes, and make sure the pot is deep & wide enough for the plant.

In the soil, make sure the hole is deep and wide enough too (at least 2x the size of the original plant pot), and mix the gravel into the soil, not in a heap at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 03:03 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
In the soil, make sure the hole is deep and wide enough too (at least 2x the size of the original plant pot), and mix the gravel into the soil, not in a heap at the bottom.
With all due respect, putting gravel in the bottom of the hole is a bad idea. I've planted thousands of plants professionally. It's a good way to kill your trees and shrubs. We take a lot of care taking OUT rocks and such here on the east coast. The appropriate remarks should be highlighted on the links below.

Northern Gardening Tips: Tips for spring tree and shrub planting (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:GjTD46rxEicJ:www.montana.edu/cpa/news/nwview.php%3Farticle%3D3736+%22Don%27t+put+gravel+ or+stones+in+the+bottom+of+the+hole.%22&hl=en&ct=c lnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)

Planting Trees and Shrubs

Huronview Nurseries (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:heBAqUzIPtMJ:www.huronview.on.ca/tips_plantingtreeshrubs.html+%22Do+not+use+stone+o r+gravel+in+the+bottom+of+the+hole--it+tends+to+impede+rather+than+aid+drainage.%22&hl =en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)

Planting and Transplanting Trees and Shrubs

Old 02-07-2008, 03:12 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
With all due respect, putting gravel in the bottom of the hole is a bad idea. I've planted thousands of plants professionally. It's a good way to kill your trees and shrubs. We take a lot of care taking OUT rocks and such here on the east coast. The appropriate remarks should be highlighted on the links below.

Northern Gardening Tips: Tips for spring tree and shrub planting (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:GjTD46rxEicJ:www.montana.edu/cpa/news/nwview.php%3Farticle%3D3736+%22Don%27t+put+gravel+ or+stones+in+the+bottom+of+the+hole.%22&hl=en&ct=c lnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)

Planting Trees and Shrubs

Huronview Nurseries (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:heBAqUzIPtMJ:www.huronview.on.ca/tips_plantingtreeshrubs.html+%22Do+not+use+stone+o r+gravel+in+the+bottom+of+the+hole--it+tends+to+impede+rather+than+aid+drainage.%22&hl =en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)

Planting and Transplanting Trees and Shrubs

I was under the impression southdown meant put a little bit of gravel in the bottom of a decorative planter then put soil in then put plant in. no?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:24 PM

I did not get that impression. By "in the soil" and "hole" I inferred he/she meant in the ground. The 2x reference is also common to putting plants in the ground. I don't know how you make a 2x size hole in a pot? And putting gravel in the bottom of the hole is a common myth - hence all the mentions of it on those sites.

My apologies if I read it wrong.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Yes, but add something to the bottom of the pots like gravel or bits of broken clay pot to stop the soil plugging the drainage holes, and make sure the pot is deep & wide enough for the plant.

Oy vey - I'm having to quote myself AND repeat myself here.... an odd sensation... but sorry if I wasn't clear.

I would never suggest putting a pile of stones in the base of a hole - but you can MIX drainage material INTO clay or heavy soils to lighten them. Organic matter, horticultural grit etc., not rocks or stones. If it's not solid clay or heavy or waterlogged, don't worry!

1. IN POTS Broken crocks in bottom of the new clay/plastic pots to prevent clogging the drainage holes. The new pot should be at least 2" bigger all round than the original pot.

OR

2. IN SOIL Adding some material to improve drainage to the soil if needed - organic matter or sharp sand, depending on your soil. MIX IT IN, don't put a pile in the bottom of the hole. I've done this hundreds of times and it has worked well. However, creating a big planting hole means you can break up the soil before you put it back in around the roots, which is usually sufficient without adding anything.

Maybe it would be better to find a website on the subject of planting - this one is quite straightforward Gardening : Winter : Winter Planting : Home & Garden Television
or
Plant Care- Planting Trees and Shrubs

We are making it look more complicated than it is, methinks!!

Last edited by southdown; 02-07-2008 at 07:27 PM..

Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Oy vey - I'm having to quote myself AND repeat myself here.... an odd sensation... but sorry if I wasn't clear.
I thought you were quite clear, just wrong.

When planting in clay, you should never be adding anything or mixing in anything to the bottom of the hole. The root ball should sit on top of undisturbed earth. If you want to mix in some organic matter to the clay that will go around the plant, that's fine and good. Don't go over a 25% mix of organic material, and 10% is probably ideal. Adding sand/gravel/grit?/very small rocks/whatever to clay to "improve drainage" is a very old-school idea that has been proven more detrimental than good for plants. That's why I included the links ( the first few to come up on google on the subject) that I did.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I thought you were quite clear, just wrong.
Ooo-er..........

Must depend where you are from - I'll go inform my horticultural college right now!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Must depend where you are from - I'll go inform my horticultural college right now!
I'm sure they are already well aware of this old myth you are spreading.

From NC State:
Improving Your Soil

From Cornell Univeristy:
Gardening Resources, Cornell University

Or how about Washington State:
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths0/Amendments%202.pdf

Or the Question and Answer part of this document from Oregon State:
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/cat.../ec/ec1561.pdf

And my alma mater Colorado State:
Growing Turf on Salt-Affected Sites

That covers both coasts and Colorado. And these are some pretty heavy-weight horticultural Universities. I'm sure there is more info out there if I had the time to find it.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:49 AM

Magic potion - gypsum, coffee grounds and sawdust. But takes a few years.....

Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
[quote=Art123;2756763]With all due respect, putting gravel in the bottom of the hole is a bad idea. I've planted thousands of plants professionally. It's a good way to kill your trees and shrubs. We take a lot of care taking OUT rocks and such here on the east coast. The appropriate remarks should be highlighted on the links below.

Explain how putting rocks into the bottom of the pot is detrimental to the plant.
If mother nature has rocks in the soil, is that detrimental. I thought rocks helped with drainage and air circulation to prevent rot, fungus and other problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden