Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:59 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times

Advertisements

We love pasta/pizza sauce, and can over 100 quarts per year. Most of the tomatoes for that come from Big Mama, Supersauce, and Oxheart. I love the Oxheart, myself. Talk about yield!

For regular slicers, We go with Big Beef and Brandywine. I also love the Sungold.

Sweet block peppers in green, yellow, orange and red, of the California Wonder type, do well for us.

We start our seedlings indoors in March, and transplant into a high tunnel by late April. We are located in northern Maine, and if you want any kind of a crop at all, starting seedlings indoors is a must -- and so is the high tunnel! We often have fresh tomatoes when the neighbors are just getting started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 11:40 AM

258 posts, read 299,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

We start our seedlings indoors in March, and transplant into a high tunnel by late April. We are located in northern Maine, and if you want any kind of a crop at all, starting seedlings indoors is a must -- and so is the high tunnel! We often have fresh tomatoes when the neighbors are just getting started.

Last year I bought the Lizzano seedlings from our local nursery. I liked them a lot, so I decided to try and grow them from seed in my Sunroom this year. Out of 10 seeds, I got a few that made it to planting. I bought another couple of seedlings from the nursery--- they are the ones that are bearing right now, but I think they were started a couple of weeks before I started my seeds. My plants have tomatoes on them, but they are still green and seem to be taking a lot longer to ripen/grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden