Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 12:07 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,514 times

Advertisements

A neighbor turned an old wheel barrel into a little flower bed. It really is beautiful and a great way to "recycle" something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 12:43 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In my climate using straw or hay bales to grow plants in is too dangerous, even with single bales on their own, as the risk of spontaneous combustion is far too high with damp or wetted down bales. Anyone considering using hay bales to grow in should make themselves aware of the risks and know what kinds of symptoms to check for to forestall spontaneous combustion of hay. https://www.bing.com/search?q=hay+ba...bb9f667a3f75fc

He does not address the combustion question, but here is a good article on the growing in straw bales:
https://awaytogarden.com/straw-bale-...ig-lehoullier/

Maybe the plants and other additives make the bale less susceptible to combustion?

Old 05-01-2018, 01:33 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Out of reps but thanks to all thus far....good ideas.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:01 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
He does not address the combustion question, but here is a good article on the growing in straw bales:
https://awaytogarden.com/straw-bale-...ig-lehoullier/

Maybe the plants and other additives make the bale less susceptible to combustion?
I've followed Craig's straw bale gardening book advice and things turned out great.

His Epic Tomato book is well worth having. I've been growing tomatoes my entire life and they've never been this good before. Craig LeHoullier is the Tomato Man, no doubt about it.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:02 PM

I'm using galvanized steel tubs that I get from Lowes and a local agriculture store.

I use Zep acidic toilet boil cleaner to wash the shine off the metal.

I think it looks very Joanna Gaines, but without the shiplap.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:03 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Trying to avoid buying extra containers as they are getting pricey. Put holes in two large plastic totes so will use those for tomatoes....

Have any suggestions for containers other than the usual round pots?

I've tried made-for-gardening bags but they dry out so fast....have seen seeds planted directly in a bag of garden soil (while lying flat) but that would work only for shallow-rooted plants ie lettuce.

Any suggestions appreciated...
The bags laying flat is supposed to work well for melons. Some plants you don't want roots, you want fruits.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:05 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
Trying to avoid buying extra containers as they are getting pricey. Put holes in two large plastic totes so will use those for tomatoes....

Have any suggestions for containers other than the usual round pots?

I've tried made-for-gardening bags but they dry out so fast....have seen seeds planted directly in a bag of garden soil (while lying flat) but that would work only for shallow-rooted plants ie lettuce.

Any suggestions appreciated...
Too bad you don't live closer to me. A deli that I eat at gets their dill pickles in white plastic containers, exactly the same size as those two and a half gallon plastic paint containers they sell at Home Depot. The lady who owns the deli has given me and other regular customers dozens of them to take home. Or you could use the empty five gallon and two and a half gallon paint and joint compound containers. Just drill a couple of holes in the bottom.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:39 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've followed Craig's straw bale gardening book advice and things turned out great.

His Epic Tomato book is well worth having. I've been growing tomatoes my entire life and they've never been this good before. Craig LeHoullier is the Tomato Man, no doubt about it.
Thanks for the link....will check out "Tomato Man"...

Old 05-01-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link....will check out "Tomato Man"...
BTW, he grows all his tomatoes in buckets and 5 gallon bags, watered twice day. His driveway is covered with them as it gets this sun while everything else is shaded by trees.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 PM

I have a friend who plants flowers and vines in old boots and sets them around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden