Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Control issues???
That's a good one !

I too like to get everything "just perfect" when I'd gardening .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:00 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
You'd think that as 'iffy' as gardening can sometimes be, there'd be little room for us 'perfectionists' out there.

In addition to not being able to use my nicely-maintained and working tools, if my poor husband chooses to help me in the yard, it does have to meet my exacting standards. Good thing he loves me. (At least I think he still does. Maybe I'd better ask -- but NOT when we're gardening together.)

Old 04-24-2008, 04:10 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
That's a good one !

I too like to get everything "just perfect" when I'd gardening .
Oh wow! I'm not alone! I dragged a poor Arborvitae all over the place yesterday before I found just the right spot, which of course was the first place I had originally put it!

I like the satisfaction I get from gardening.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
You'd think that as 'iffy' as gardening can sometimes be, there'd be little room for us 'perfectionists' out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
Oh wow! I'm not alone! I dragged a poor Arborvitae all over the place yesterday before I found just the right spot, which of course was the first place I had originally put it!
You should have seen my eyes light up when I saw the landscape guy on This Old House explain "good side out" when positioning a plant....now I really study each plant for it's "good side" before positioning it!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
. . . "good side out" when positioning a plant....now I really study each plant for it's "good side" before positioning it!
Oh, LOL, but what happens when the "good side" inescapably ends up becoming the plant's "not-so-good-side"?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
gentlearts really good post. you got rep asap

Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 AM

Default why do you garden?

OK, I've got to be honest, and get real, here, too.

Aside from all of the personal reasons that I garden -- like to play in the dirt, relish in the fruits of my labors, instant gratification, enjoy the time outdoors and being there is less of a chore than being in the house . . . there is the 'competitive' side to me (and this is u-g-l-y).

But, I WANT the prettiest yard to be mine.

There, I said it.

Neighbors up and down my street have been just busy, busy, busy little gardeners, out in their yards in their hats and gloves, with their spades and trowels, and shovels, and weed-killers, and blowers, and mowers, and packets of seeds, and bedding plants, and mulch, and you think for one minute I'm not caught-up in ALL THAT?

I don't think so!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
But, I WANT the prettiest yard to be mine.
The house across the street from me has a small beauty shop in the basement. I love to hear the older women when they get out of their cars. "Oh my, he has really turned that house around." It's a huge chore reclaiming a yard that was neglected for 20 years, but it's always rewarding to hear them gush.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Years ago I was an 'urban gardener'. For 30+ years I have been a rural gardener. I believe this instinct to stick my hands in the earth comes from my mother who once planted and nourished almost 2 acres of gardens in the suburbs of St. Louis county. Over the many years here in a place beyond the 'burbs, I have attempted to emulate her successes. However, more failures have been the results of my efforts. Even so, I consider Mother Earth and I as partners in maintaining any level of sanity that I now have.

Rabbits and squirrels and other wildlife appreciate my gardens. What they leave for us we do enjoy. I do have one great big problem tho'. I consistently order and purchase plants occasionally with no idea of where they may find a home. The I wander around our land way too often holding this prize before helping it put it's roots down.

I do this because I can and because I really do enjoy gardening. At one point in my life if you asked me to plant something I should have asked you where you wanted me to 'bury' it. A green thumb I did not have. It did not come very easy for me to do. Lots of trial and error. And advise from a wonderful, knowledgeable daughter-in-law.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:17 AM

Good for you, Northwoods Voyager!

There is so much satisfaction to be gleaned from gardening. Even when I am breaking my back, or down on my hands and knees, it feels good to see the fruits of your labor.

I had to learn on my own, too, and have lost a lot of poor plants as a result of trial-and-error, but unfortunately, it's how you learn. I suppose the plants over the years have forgiven me.

I'm now trying to decide what types of plants I want to kill in my window boxes. I haven't had a challenge like this in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden