Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 09:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Personally I like catalpa trees if they are away from the house. I used to have a huge one in my back yard and people would come in the spring and ask if they could "harvest" the worms (caterpillars) that get on it in the spring, for fishing. They were never a nuisance (the caterpillars or the people - LOL), especially since the caterpillars only seemed to get on the catalpa trees. Also they aren't the type that make those big ugly nests either.

These trees do tend to be messy though. I call the leaves "paper bag leaves" because they are big and just plain brown. But I personally like the flowers in the spring, and I don't mind the "pea pods" either because they just aren't that difficult to pick up, and when they grow, like the flowers, they are interesting looking to me.

These trees remind me of when I was a kid because there were lots of them around my great grandmother's house. But when I had one, it never spread - I don't know why, maybe it was just because I kept the lawn mowed, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 05:56 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
If it came back VIGOROUSLY, with huge leaves after being cut back, it could also be a Royal Paulownia. They roughly resemble a Catalpa at first glance. They get fragrant, pale blue flowers when mature though, instead of the white flowers of the Catalpas...no cigar seed pods either. The wood of the Paulownia is sought by Japanese wood carvers, or used to be.

I like both of them. The RP is a fast growing tree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia_tomentosa
Highly Invasive Tree....destroys native eco systems. Paulownia (Princess Tree) on

This is quite different from the Catalpa tree. The flowers are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden