Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 08:23 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,010,226 times

Advertisements

I grabbed 3pks of 12 count Ball lids and bands from WM last week. Think they were 3.78 ea. pk.
The way things went last year figured I'd grab what I could when I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 10:26 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
https://www.lazybudgetchef.com/2020/...-jar-lids.html

Quote:
If I had, I would have found that all of the customer reviews said they in good faith ordered Ball brand canning jar lids from that Amazon listing and received counterfeit canning jar lids that won’t seal during water bath or pressure canning. Not sealing is the thing that concerns me the most because if someone tries to preserve food with the fake Ball canning jar lids, the jars won’t seal and could allow dangerously bacteria grow and containment the food in jar. Yikes!
That's exactly what happened when my wife ordered. We received the lids, shipped from China, the packaging was a complete rip-off of Ball brand. The boxes had photo images of Ball. They were obvious fakes. We tried to get a refund and report these counterfeiters, and Amazon said the merchant was willing to refund our money but we had to ship the lids back to China to get it (which cost more than the lids).

So just beware. Ball/Kerr lids are only available through normal distribution routes- WalMart, Farm and Fleet, local Ace hardware places, grocery stores etc.. You cannot buy them direct from Mason/Ball/Kerr (they are all the same company).

Old 02-17-2021, 11:36 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
https://www.lazybudgetchef.com/2020/...-jar-lids.html

So just beware. Ball/Kerr lids are only available through normal distribution routes- WalMart, Farm and Fleet, local Ace hardware places, grocery stores etc.. You cannot buy them direct from Mason/Ball/Kerr (they are all the same company).
Thank you for the warning. Well, I ordered the lids based on good reviews and will just have to wait and see whether they seal well.

Walmart (both local store and online) have not carried canning lids and rings for months. I also don't have any luck finding them at other local grocery stores.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:35 PM

433 posts, read 532,389 times
I don't know if this of any interest, but, I went to the Wally World website and came up with----

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...peahead=cannin

Old 02-17-2021, 02:00 PM

Looks like they carry some of the counterfeits on their web page- the lids with no official logo printed on the top are knock-offs.

Well we're pretty happy with the Tatlers so far. We had enough soup to can 12 quarts. 2 of the quarts did not seal, but I think we botched that. Your supposed to crank the rings tight within 5 minutes after you take it out of the canner/pressure cooker. So we did 5 last night but forgot that step. We're going to redo those two tonight.

Tatler is a brand that's been around since 1976 and American made (so they say).

Old 03-07-2021, 11:19 AM

Cleaning out some of last years vegetation debris, turned our compost really well and looking for the right amendments to correct some deficiencies in the older garden plots.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:10 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Cleaning out some of last years vegetation debris, turned our compost really well and looking for the right amendments to correct some deficiencies in the older garden plots.
Got the itch huh. 30s here and everything is still frozen to the earth. 17° tonight.

Did you warm up enough to be able to clean?

Have you plotted everything out or gonna do similar to usual?

Old 03-08-2021, 09:21 AM

Unfortunately it's been in the upper 40's and low 50's during the day (I like to ice fish, so I'm not happy, lol).

Oh yeah- the missus has it all plotted out. We're limiting produce variety down a bit this year. We put up A LOT of potatoes, greens, tomatillos and some other things, so this year it's lots of corn, spinach, cabbage, tomatoes, and bush green beans. We may do a few potato plants, one or two squash, but corn and green beans are going to take a front seat this year.

My neighbor has a small chipper shredder that has a down chute- we're going to run last years 'compost' thru it and till it in this weekend.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:42 PM

It's time (in Montana)

Getting some various brassicas planted-

We planted a few fruit trees a few weeks ago. A cherry and two pear trees. The cherry is already budding

We also are framing in the irrigated portion of our 'yard' with berry bushes. First in are the haskap berries.

They are a berry producing honeysuckle ideally suited for very cold climates and crap-tastic soils. PERFECT for Crooked Gardens!

Old 05-03-2021, 08:29 PM

Got some soil tilled. I'll have to turn it again, it's still a little frozen down a ways. We also need to add bonemeal and some amendments.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden