Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 03:29 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Funky Looking but kinda cool! It's going to be awesome in the summer when it gives me natural shade

No more needles dropping now. lolol

I kinda wanna keep it going to show you guys how you can chop the top off a mature Pine and it keeps regrowing but I may be taking it down and planting something in its place. Not sure yet.

One thing is for sure, without a center shoot now, all its energy will go into the side branches and they are gonna grow wild. I have to chop off the sides too at least the high branches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 06:43 AM

376 posts, read 321,066 times
When we purchased this house 25 years ago, the previous owners had planted five white pines in the back yard along the side perimeters. We have only kept one. They do shed needles a few times a year in the Summer, and just keep going on and on and on. About five years ago we had some heavy wind storms. The majority of the damage in our area was to white pines. Branches snapped taking down power lines and blocking streets. Four of the pines in our yard sustained a lot of damage. One started tilting. We had them all taken down along with the much-despised Norwegian maple that I kept hounding my husband about because I believed it was not healthy for a number of years and should have been taken down. Three large branches fell, two on our roof and took down the gutter.

The remaining white pine is doing well and doesn't appear to be affected as much by the wind.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:20 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I have one white pine that needs trimmed back away from my roof this year because the previous owners hadn't had it done in at least 20-30 years. The last combo of freezing rain, sleet, and snow made me a bit nervous because the tree is over 90 ft. tall.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:23 PM

Quick update... Pine tree as usual survives the topping off.

Compare it to the pictures above and you can see its even filling in again. This was just taken today

It provided natural shade this summer and boy I was glad I didn't remove it. I'll just keep topping it off. I do hate the needles it drops though. And the sap

Old 11-03-2022, 03:38 PM

Dropping needles now. Mowed some in but raked up the rest

More on tree still have to fall. Look at the leader on the left after I topped it off. Trees are so resilent. It's filling in again. I'm gonna have to top it again in a couple years.

This is about the 4th time I topped this Pine tree. Poor thing is like am I growing wide, tall, what do you want me to do. Just keep growing and providing shade for me. :-)

I DO NOT LIKE THE SAP THOUGH.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:07 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
We have two massive pines between my neighbor’s house and mine. We get a ton of pine needles from late July through October. I don’t think it’s much of an exaggeration when I say a ton. I would like to take them down but I am reluctant for a number of reasons, including cost.

We have a beautiful Beech tree near our patio that provides the perfect amount of shade. It is always the first to drop its leaves in late September/early October. Next to drop its leaves is our Red Maple, then the Oaks, and last is the two Crimson Maples. I have a zero-turn with a 42” deck and I still have to rake first as the leaves and pine needles are just too much for the mower. Thankfully, the leaves are only that dense for a couple weekends and I can use the mower until about Thanksgiving, at which point it goes into the shed until April.

A lot of beauty, but also a lot of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden