Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 09:56 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I've done it many times. I just add a little bone meal & veg fertilizer to each plant.
That and adding straw or grass clipping mulch to keep soil born diseases from bouncing up onto the leaves.

For several years, the only spot with enough sun was along a parking spot. I grew tomatoes in 30 gallon grow bags with fresh dirt and SuperSod compost every spring. The mulch helped some, but eventually nearly all of my tomatoes would succumb to wilt.

Except for Torch tomatoes. They are just delicious. Little smaller than Romas. First one we pick in the spring, and the last ones to still be producing in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 12:18 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We have space so we rotate the crop. Attention to variety and resistance to disease are our major concern.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:02 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
If you check out Gemstone's good reference posted earlier, you'll see that almost all of those conditions involve microbes that thrive in conditions of high humidity, high moisture and poor air circulation....Those spores may harbor themselves in the soil, but rotating your tomatoes to another plot nearby won't help-- the spores are everywhere and become airborne. The plants don't get "infected" from the soil....

Up here where we have real winters and summers aren't too long or too hot, a little fungal or bacterial damage will still give you a good enough harvest if you're an amateur, and rarely requires any real treatment other than preventative--> plant in full sun conditions with good drainage and enough room betweeen plants to allow for good air circulation. Don't water at nite (daytime watering allows excess moisture to evaporate) and only water the ground around the plant, not on the vegetation itself (keep the leaves dry).

I've grown tomatoes for decades in the same plot without disease problems. Fertlize as needed to replace nutrients carried off with the harvest.

Old 04-11-2023, 06:20 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
I have a small garden and grow tomatoes in same general area, my biggest issue is blight. I live in NJ and it gets hot and sticky during the summer. I have some prevention techniques like spacing out, keeping them off the ground, water at the base and keep some kind of ground cover under the plant, and remove lower infected leaves.

Also apply a fungicide with a pump sprayer late evening or early morning, and fertilize. Also some plants are much more resistant than others. I go with disease resistant hybrid's, tried heirloom and they do not do well in my enviroment. Eventually the plant gets it no matter but try to delay it as long as possible.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:15 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
I've had good luck with Torch tomatoes. They are the first to produce and are still producing after other tomatoes have succumbed to wilt, etc.

They have the deep tomato flavor.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:34 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Being in the far north (most of Canada is south of us), I can only get good tomatoes by growing them in a greenhouse. Which means they get planted in the same location every year. Each spring I add some good quality compost, a little commercial fertilizer, and a little bit of gypsum. They usually do well unless we have an unusually cool and wet summer. Tomatoes do not like cold damp weather but I can't control that.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:29 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
For a long time the problem with replanting in tomato soil has been nematodes. Keep that in mind as you choose which varieties to plant. Early Girl cultivar is fairly resistant to root knot nematodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden