Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 03:29 PM

11,077 posts, read 6,887,781 times

Advertisements

The interesting thing is that the yokel came from across the street instead of next door. Because he tried to order the video guy around ("15 minutes and then I call the cops"), he seemed like a curmudgeonly control freak.

A lot of times the guys will check with neighbors to see what the deal is: death, abandonment, disability, financial troubles, etc. They usually get some good responses. Not to mention more viewers/subscribers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 04:16 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Why should someone have to "discuss" or "negotiate" with their neighbors to have some work done on their property? As long as the work is done between the approximate hours of 7 AM to 7 PM, then what business is it of the neighbors?
Read the comment again. I never suggested asking permission of the neighbors, just informing them. Considering the place had been long neglected, this sounds like an unusually intense project. I'd give my neighbors a heads up about something like that.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2023 at 04:49 PM..

Old 05-01-2023, 04:20 PM

I agree, except this guy is probably like a lot of YouTubers who knock on random doors and offer free services, making money from ad revenue and other places like Patreon. That being said, he did say he had permission from the owner of that house. But I don't think the complainer would have been ok with a full day of noise even if asked.

Old 05-01-2023, 04:28 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've been watching some videos of YouTubers who film their work. All of them are really nice people who do a great job for the community and they make money from the videos. It's a win-win all around.

A few guys get harassed and even threatened by neighbors who don't like the noise. The thing is that most of these properties are severely overgrown for various reasons, and it impacts the neighborhood (unsightliness, vermin and reptiles that could affect children and others), lowering property and neighborhood values.

Like the cops are going to do anything about this kind of thing. Somebody doing good work and someone else just being a jerk. I seriously doubt that the cops are going to come out and put a stop to someone doing lawn and yard care. If someone threatened me, I'd call the cops first and inform of the threats against me.

As someone in the comments said "I'd rather endure a few hours of noise than look at a horrible yard for years." In some cases, the properties have been unsightly for years.
So, are these random people showing up to do a good deed and clean up a property and they are filming their work?

The only law enforcement issue I can see is if the group is working before or after the customary work hours making tons of noise. Doesn't justify threats.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:25 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
No, the guy was complaining that the landscaper was giving him "a f----ing headache." It was in the middle of the day, in Australia.

If you want to watch the confrontation, it starts at minute 26:15. The landscaper also makes some brief comments near the end. Oh and get this, he orders the guy to finish it up in 15 minutes!

https://youtu.be/p34IZ_4amUQ

Right. That's what this was.
Australia??!! No wonder!! Did anything like this happen during the day in a civilized country, like the US?

Old 05-02-2023, 06:20 AM

I know you're being facetious, but it happens a lot here in the US. Fortunately not as much as the good reactions.

One of the guys, his YouTube channel is SB Mowing, just hit 1 million subscribers. A super nice young man, as all of these guys are. Recently a guy came out the morning after Super Bowl and cussed him out because he was trying to sleep in the middle of the day (obviously, a Monday). Spencer decided to stop because he didn't want any confrontations with a very cranky guy with a hangover.

Last edited by pathrunner; 05-02-2023 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 05-02-2023, 06:25 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
I know you're being facetious, but it happens a lot here in the US. Fortunately not as much as the good reactions.

One of the guys, his YouTube channel is SB Mowing, just hit a million viewers. A supe nice young man, as all of yhese guys are. Recently a guy came out the morning after Super Bowl and cussed him out because he was trying to sleep in the middle of the day (obviously, a Monday). Spencer decided to stop because he didn't want any confrontations with a very cranky guy with a hangover.
While the guy is trying to do good, doing loud lawn work on days after thing like the Super Bowl, New Years Eve, the 4th of July, etc, probably isnt the best idea.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:07 AM

43,123 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Also have to wonder whether the YouTuber gardeners gave anyone a heads up about the work plan and its duration. Much easier to tolerate noise/disruption if you know how long you might need to endure it. Gives you a chance to make other plans for your own day. Discussing/negotiating with neighbors ahead of time shows respect and an appreciation of the negative effects. Just waking up to an unannounced intrusive surprise that goes on all day long would make almost anyone cranky.
Are you advocating that you ask your neighbor's permission to do landscaping on your own lot ?

Old 05-02-2023, 07:31 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
One consideration not mentioned is how much did the Youtuber provoke/entice the event into happening so they could video it for more "hits" on Youtube? I've seen a few of those where the Youtuber isn't so innocent but is passive aggressively egging the other person on.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:54 AM

The YouTubers I've watched are very respectful and offer their services almost exclusively to the disabled, financially challenged, elderly, and abandoned home to clean up the neighborhood. I haven't seen any of them provoke and I certainly haven't seen any passive-aggressive behavior on the part of the YouTubers.

Thew YouTuber I mentioned above (video link) in no way provoked the neighbor. He was working, minding his own business, when the guy approached. There are these types out there who think they can control people doing good, honest work. It's actually kind of comical - and pathetic.

If you look at the minute I provided above, you will see the proof.

Quote:
No, the guy was complaining that the landscaper was giving him "a f----ing headache." It was in the middle of the day, in Australia.

If you want to watch the confrontation, it starts at minute 26:15. The landscaper also makes some brief comments near the end. Oh and get this, he orders the guy to finish it up in 15 minutes!

https://youtu.be/p34IZ_4amUQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden