Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 11:29 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times

Advertisements

I've been watching some videos of YouTubers who film their work. All of them are really nice people who do a great job for the community and they make money from the videos. It's a win-win all around.

A few guys get harassed and even threatened by neighbors who don't like the noise. The thing is that most of these properties are severely overgrown for various reasons, and it impacts the neighborhood (unsightliness, vermin and reptiles that could affect children and others), lowering property and neighborhood values.

Like the cops are going to do anything about this kind of thing. Somebody doing good work and someone else just being a jerk. I seriously doubt that the cops are going to come out and put a stop to someone doing lawn and yard care. If someone threatened me, I'd call the cops first and inform of the threats against me.

As someone in the comments said "I'd rather endure a few hours of noise than look at a horrible yard for years." In some cases, the properties have been unsightly for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 01:27 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Is it the noise or the time of day the noise is being produced?

Old 05-01-2023, 01:28 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The type of videos I have seen like this are at the same time that anyone would be doing yard work.

Old 05-01-2023, 01:51 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Could it be that maybe the noisy complaining neighbor MIGHT be concerned about squatters? (That is...if the property is vacant.)

Old 05-01-2023, 01:59 PM

No, the guy was complaining that the landscaper was giving him "a f----ing headache." It was in the middle of the day, in Australia.

If you want to watch the confrontation, it starts at minute 26:15. The landscaper also makes some brief comments near the end. Oh and get this, he orders the guy to finish it up in 15 minutes!

https://youtu.be/p34IZ_4amUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The type of videos I have seen like this are at the same time that anyone would be doing yard work.
Right. That's what this was.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:14 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Also have to wonder whether the YouTuber gardeners gave anyone a heads up about the work plan and its duration. Much easier to tolerate noise/disruption if you know how long you might need to endure it. Gives you a chance to make other plans for your own day. Discussing/negotiating with neighbors ahead of time shows respect and an appreciation of the negative effects. Just waking up to an unannounced intrusive surprise that goes on all day long would make almost anyone cranky.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2023 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-01-2023, 02:20 PM

That's what this guy should have done.

When my first child was an infant I decided to work graveyard from 1am to 6am - 40 miles away. I had to take care of her, do housework, try to rest, fix meals, etc. etc. Did I complain to landscapers and kids in the condo park? Not to mention the grocery store loading dock right behind the condo! No. They had a right to do what they were doing in the daytime.

I had a white noise machine from Sears back when it was probably the only place that carried them. It was called a Sleep-Eze and it lasted 20 yrs. I loved that thing. People used to ask me "WHEN do you sleep?" I usually answered, "uhhhhh not much!"

Old 05-01-2023, 02:49 PM

6,015 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Also have to wonder whether the YouTuber gardeners gave anyone a heads up about the work plan and its duration. Much easier to tolerate noise/disruption if you know how long you might need to endure it. Gives you a chance to make other plans for your own day. Discussing/negotiating with neighbors ahead of time shows respect and an appreciation of the negative effects. Just waking up to an unannounced intrusive surprise that goes on all day long would make almost anyone cranky.
Why should someone have to "discuss" or "negotiate" with their neighbors to have some work done on their property? As long as the work is done between the approximate hours of 7 AM to 7 PM, then what business is it of the neighbors?

If I'm planning on having my yard landscaped, a new roof installed, or an addition put on my house, as long as I have the necessary permits to do so, the work will be done during daylight hours as fits my contractor's schedule. If you wish to know more about that schedule, you can ask and I will tell you the schedule to the best of my knowledge. Otherwise, don't expect me to ask YOUR permission to have work done on MY house.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:56 PM

In a lot of the videos, neighbors will approach and be so kind, friendly and grateful. They'll even try to tip the person occasionally. Thankfully they are in the majority.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:26 PM

6,015 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
In a lot of the videos, neighbors will approach and be so kind, friendly and grateful. They'll even try to tip the person occasionally. Thankfully they are in the majority.
And the neighbors SHOULD be grateful. How often does someone have work done on their house that will make it (or the neighborhood) look worse? Good neighbors will understand that having contractors do work on a house is difficult enough to arrange and schedule without having to check with a dozen different neighbors to find out if it's "convenient" with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden