Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 08:44 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Are you advocating that you ask your neighbor's permission to do landscaping on your own lot ?
This whole discussion is baffling to me. Everyone in my neighborhood is doing "landscaping" on almost every sunny day - mowing, trimming, tilling, mulching and so on. Most folks wait until 9 or 10 to start and finish by dusk but I cannot imagine anyone asking a neighbor for permission to do any of these things. Nor that any neighbor would care one way or the other what someone is doing in their yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 09:17 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
This whole discussion is baffling to me. Everyone in my neighborhood is doing "landscaping" on almost every sunny day - mowing, trimming, tilling, mulching and so on. Most folks wait until 9 or 10 to start and finish by dusk but I cannot imagine anyone asking a neighbor for permission to do any of these things. Nor that any neighbor would care one way or the other what someone is doing in their yard.
You live in a neighbor without an entitled control freak like the neighbor in the video. I live in a neighborhood with a bunch of sit down mowers. They never bother me. I like that people keep up their yards. 'Round here residents would not take kindly to people actually ordering them to stop landscaping. As if. Far from it! I wouldn't want to see anyone try that, if you catch my drift.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:32 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Sound pollution can make people angry, especially now that homes are being built so close together and in the spring and fall when weather is nice enough to have windows open.

One of the many reasons we are glad we don't live in a big Florida HOA now is because of that homes location the landscapers made BIG noise around us 3 freakin days a week for hours. We could not have a conversation in our living room or a phone call without closing windows or going to a room with few windows and shutting the door. The older white owners loved seeing brown people making their landscape look perfect.

We are now living in a much smaller HOA where people can mow their own but we and most neighbors use the same guy who comes one day a week. Sound pollution lasts 20 minutes tops due to larger lots and just one crew that works fast.

We are VERY glad we don't live next to someone who uses their blower like a hobby, every day in other words. Where do they think they are blowing this stuff off to? It just blows back you dopes. California has laws restricting powered blowers based on sound but also because it blows crap from the surface that can be harmful if inhaled.

I never advocate using violence but noise can cause anger.

edit to add: I do woodworking using power saws (noisy). My garage faces just one neighbors house and I sent her a text a year ago asking her to let me know if it bothered them and what times were bad. We get along great.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:52 AM

You're a great neighbor.

The deal with these YouTube videos is that they are based upon severely overgrown and unsightly properties. People love to watch the cleanups and there is quite a bit of ad revenue as a result. Many of the jobs take all day, and sometimes 2-3 days.

The more successful ones go all around doing these jobs, some travel (Lawncare Juggernaut/The Boring Channel), Al Bladez, Clean the City (he is so adorable), Cabin in the Woods, and many more. Lawncare Juggernaut travels now, with equipment and a trailer. He hands out free money (not small amounts), that's how well his channel is doing. He was one of the first to do it. His channel just blew up like crazy and people started their own channels with his model. Like I said, win-win all around.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:55 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
The neighbors should be happy that an eyesore is getting cleaned up. The world doesn’t stop for them. If you sleep during the day get a fan or sound machine.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:56 AM

^Exactly. For curmudgeons, that solution is way too easy and doesn't allow them to get in anyone's face!

Old 05-02-2023, 05:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
LOL, I agree, baffling to me as well. Today I walked by people mowing, using weed eaters, using a backhoe, and one neighbor having very large trees taken down, cut up and branches put in chippers. It's life. I've been president of our neighborhood for 8 years and I swear I've never had a complaint for these types of noises.

I thought this was a real situation that some C-D poster was having with a neighbor.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:30 PM

Well... it's a real situation that a lot of people encounter whether it's a poster on C-D, in real life or YouTubers doing good work

Old 05-02-2023, 07:52 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
No, the guy was complaining that the landscaper was giving him "a f----ing headache." It was in the middle of the day, in Australia.

If you want to watch the confrontation, it starts at minute 26:15. The landscaper also makes some brief comments near the end. Oh and get this, he orders the guy to finish it up in 15 minutes!

https://youtu.be/p34IZ_4amUQ

Right. That's what this was.
Wow! I am surprised that the City has not slapped a hefty fine on that delinquent houseowner. If the police were called, the City informed of the situation, wouldn't the good Samaritan be remunerated for his good deed?

Thanks for the link. I have upvoted his video and subscribed to his channel.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:14 AM

From watching these videos for the last couple years I've noticed that it takes a really long time for the city to come out and actually fine the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden