Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 03:40 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
OP, something rings a bell with me. Not wishing to alarm you but have you ever heard of Rose Rosette Disease, a.k.a. Witches' Broom? It's a virus that causes clusters of twisted and crazed looking branches and clusters of mis-shapen roses to grow out of the end of a rose branch. I don't know if that's what you have happening but what's happening with yours might be an early symptom of the virus so it bears watching closely and doing some research about it. If it turns out that's what it is you will have to take the whole plant up and dispose of all parts of it VERY carefully as it's a highly contagious disease carried by miniscule mites and can infect any other rose plants on the property. I hope that isn't what it is but here is something to get you started on comparing symptoms and researching it, just in case:

https://www.provenwinners.com/learn/...osette-disease

Pictures: https://www.google.ca/search?q=early...w=1103&bih=592

When I saw the thread title in the active threads box, my first thought was rose rosette disease. I'm not sure if the OP's rose has it after looking at the photo they posted. What I'm seeing looks exactly like what you posted, a raspberry bush. You can see what looks like raspberry leaves in the photo. I'm not seeing any rose foliage in the picture.

My other thought is if you plant a rose that is one color, say yellow, you then get what looks like a whole different rose with a different color flower such as a red which only blooms once a year, the rose graft has died, it is now the root stock taking over. The red once bloomer is Dr Huey. *Dr Huey is only one root stock used, there are others that I have not seen in person.

Usually if it's small flowers with single flower petals, it could be a wild rose that sprang through the dirt for some reason.

CD Photos Click this link for your user control panel. On the left you'll see photos and albums. Right over where it says your albums, there is a link to add album. Click that. Give it a title such as post stuff, garden, rose pics.

Once the album is made, click upload pictures, navigate to where they are on your hard drive. After uploading, you click the photo thumb nail in the new album you made, each photo will have it's own URL which you just copy and paste to post

Last edited by Roselvr; 06-27-2023 at 03:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 06:05 AM

900 posts, read 684,508 times
"
My other thought is if you plant a rose that is one color, say yellow, you then get what looks like a whole different rose with a different color flower such as a red which only blooms once a year, the rose graft has died, it is now the root stock taking over. "
This is what I was thinking must have happened, that it is not an own root rose and the rootstock rose blossomed.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:25 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
When I saw the thread title in the active threads box, my first thought was rose rosette disease. I'm not sure if the OP's rose has it after looking at the photo they posted. What I'm seeing looks exactly like what you posted, a raspberry bush. You can see what looks like raspberry leaves in the photo. I'm not seeing any rose foliage in the picture.

My other thought is if you plant a rose that is one color, say yellow, you then get what looks like a whole different rose with a different color flower such as a red which only blooms once a year, the rose graft has died, it is now the root stock taking over. The red once bloomer is Dr Huey. *Dr Huey is only one root stock used, there are others that I have not seen in person.

Usually if it's small flowers with single flower petals, it could be a wild rose that sprang through the dirt for some reason.

CD Photos Click this link for your user control panel. On the left you'll see photos and albums. Right over where it says your albums, there is a link to add album. Click that. Give it a title such as post stuff, garden, rose pics.

Once the album is made, click upload pictures, navigate to where they are on your hard drive. After uploading, you click the photo thumb nail in the new album you made, each photo will have it's own URL which you just copy and paste to post

This is the perfect answer for everyone with similar problems:

- Make sure it is rose.

- make sure it isn’t wild invasive though awfully pretty in bloom multiflora rose

- If it is the cultured rose make sure the branch with odd flowers isn’t below the graft; cut the whole branch below the graft off

- If a rose make sure it isn’t a virus, etc doing - clean it up, research; you might need to remove it if there is no cure

The green leaves and flowers in the photo does look like some type of blackberries - they have much larger flowers compared to raspberry; the green leaves resemble multiflora rose - look for it in the nearby neighborhood

Make sure it isn’t 2 plants there - can’t see - if you are sure it is the only plant - most likely blackberries or multiflora rose.
The small thorns resemble blackberries or similar. Multiflora has smoother stems with just bigger thorns, but spreads just like blackberries- from underground rhizomes

As buds are not hairy and just pubescent - it looks more like blackberries? Loganberries?

Last edited by L00k4ward; 06-27-2023 at 06:48 AM..

Old 07-19-2023, 11:26 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,832 times
To those who wanted more photos, here's one. It looks distressingly similar to what [b]Zoisite[/i] describes.

https://flic.kr/p/2oQBtqc

Old 07-20-2023, 12:21 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
To those who wanted more photos, here's one. It looks distressingly similar to what [b]Zoisite[/i] describes.

Uh oh. It's showing its true identity now. It's what Diana Holbrook described and posted the picture of the progressively developing berries. That's Himalayan blackberry with new green berries developing on it where the flowers were. The west is rife with it from Oregon north to the Alaska panhandle. Highly invasive and destructive creeper and it can grow several inches each day. The vine and thorns will "grab" on to anything within reach so if it's growing into your rose it will choke out and kill the rose plant and any other shrubs or trees nearby. It will snag onto buildings too and grow up and over anything it can hook the thorns onto. It's not something that any gardener wants growing into their property.

I'd suggest you follow the thick red coloured cane with the biggest thorns on it all the way back to the root source of it. Cut it off at the source and get that whole vine and any branches of it out of your yard. Where there's one there's more so watch carefully for more vines that you'll have to get rid of. You might need to wear heavy duty gloves if the vine is very thick or long (those Himalayan thorns will pierce thick work leather so be careful) - and if you have them, using long handled lopping pruners makes it easier to handle and carry away the vines at arms length without you getting your clothes too snagged up on the thorns.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-20-2023 at 12:39 AM..

Old 07-20-2023, 06:01 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,897,165 times
We've been getting some Canadian fire smoke cover here for the past few weeks and I've noticed that although the plants are growing, I'm just not getting as many flowers likely due to the sun being blocked.

I sure hope this doesn't become an ongoing annual thing. They say it's El Nino combined with climate change, so maybe if we get a La Nina year, it will lessen.

www.airnow.gov

Old 07-21-2023, 02:40 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

Could be Japanese winberry -Asian raspberry if you are closer to the East Coast

Its leaves resemble roses which might have been confusing to OP in the original post.
If the flowers were larger - it could be blackberries.

The photo showing a scale of things - a ruler or a coin and a general location would help identification

https://adkinvasives.com/Invasive-Species/Detail/30

Old 07-21-2023, 09:23 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
OP, if you have further doubts about the ID of your invading blackberry I'd suggest you take a cutting of it to a local nursery or garden shop for ID. Eugene Oregon where you are is in the heart of west coast invasive Himalayan blackberry country and there isn't a nursery existing anywhere in Oregon or elsewhere on the west coast that would not recognize it for what it is when seen in person.

In the meantime read this about the species, it has pictures too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_...es%20by%201915

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden