Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:35 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to put this post, so I will start its very own thread. Be sure you wash your veggies.

BTW, I have not confirmed this, just read it.

CDC: Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Quote:
Salmonella is a bacterial infection that lives in the intestinal tracts of humans and other animals. The bacteria are usually transmitted to humans by eating foods contaminated with animal feces.

Most infected people suffer fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps starting 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness tends to last four to seven days.

It isn't the poor little tomatoes fault it is the hands that handle them at fault. Wish the media would make that clearer before printing such "scares". If food handlers in all forms of occupations would do better hand washing this wouldn't be an issue nor cause some folks great sickness.

Wash, wash, wash your hands often and food folks.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Some of these are from the area they are grown in how evr. Handing by humans can cause it but unlike if it is spread out.In the end it doesnlt matter because like the spinich the exact cause ofen the area of product is isolated but the cause is never fond exactly.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:41 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Apparently, its a little early for US to be harvesting tomatoes. They are thinking they were imported from Mexico.

Still, like Jaxson stated, washing is strongly advised... for any fresh produce.

Whole Foods halts tomato sales amid salmonella scare - East Bay Business Times:

Old 06-07-2008, 05:17 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Sooo. . . . they have it down to the details of the genetic markers that these are all of the same source . . . .

Investigation of Outbreak of Infections Caused by Salmonella Saintpaul | Salmonella CDC

But . . . . the stories are TOTALLY lacking in stating the source, distribution and sellers of these tainted tomatoes are. What is up with that? Have to protect the guilty corporations above all else?

And a minor point of order -- the Spinach was contaminated with E Coli. Different critter, most ofter tracked with fecal matter. But it was internal to the Spinach as it came from the ground -- so no amount of washing would much of anything -- and I think most likely sourced be factory livestock farming in the area?

This (half-assed, so far) story line is mixing "on" the tomatoes with "in" the tomatoes.

Which is it? Or both?

Old 06-07-2008, 10:29 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Good points Philip T you are correct the media needs to be spreading the factual news on our food supplies. Every source I have read has stated it is "on" the tomatoes so that leads back to the hands that handle them.

I do not hesitate if we are at a fast food joint, sit down joint or a store to go to the manager immediately if I see ANY employee walking out of the restroom without washing their hands. Taught my kids at a young age to be aware of employees in public restrooms if they wash their hands or not as well. That is why we keep Germ X in our van so we all use it after we have touched money too that is a huge carrier of all kinds of germs. We did a lab in college on a $5 bill and it was disgusting but a lesson I shall never forget!

BTW our local McDonalds yesterday had signs up they weren't serving tomatoes due to an FDA warning but none of the employees I asked knew why. How dumb is that and they handle food!

Old 06-08-2008, 01:31 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Good grief! I suppose I should be glad that the only tomatoes that I am eating I have grown myself! This sucks!

Old 06-09-2008, 03:29 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,219,237 times
We had a death from this in Houston. The poor gentleman ate pico de gaillo (made w/tainted tomatoes) at a mexican restaraunt. He and his whole family fell ill. Unfortunately this genetleman had cancer and was already in a weakened state.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:56 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Apparently, its a little early for US to be harvesting tomatoes. They are thinking they were imported from Mexico.
They harvest tomatoes almost year-round in South Florida, too. Yet again we blame those "filthy" foreigners.

Last edited by ellie; 06-09-2008 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 04:57 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,058,155 times
Good thing I have a huge batch of tomatoes growing this year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden