Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,529 times

Advertisements

Indoor only is the WAY to go. Cats are very happy inside. So silly that the old-school belief that they have to go out still exists. All our kitties are rescued ferals and I tell ya, they don't want to go out. And if they do-a leash is so easy. Funny to see if you are not a cat person, but who cares what other people think of you!!

Inside only leads to longers lives, less vet bills (less injury, poison, parasites), and cats that are very affectionate and very much part of the family. I know for a fact that outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats are more independant and see us humans as food providers. Indoor only quickly become dog like. My 2 70+ lb shepherds defer to my 11 pd. kitty. They are all one pack.

Responsible and smart animal guardians take all precautions to ensure that the furry family memebers are good citizens, do not cause harm to others, and are not a nuisence.

The rest of the animals owners are just lazy and selfish and do think or care about how they impact others. I thank everyone who can see the difference and for not lumping all of us into a bad-behaving pack!

Purrs and wags to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 07:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I honestly don't know how you can really say you love your pet and then let them out to fend for themselves. IF cats were allowed to be free in a totally unsettled environment they might have a better chance, no other houses around, no people, no cars but in the urban areas we are in, cats are not equipped to deal with the meanness of human beings who don't like cats.

I read an article a few years back where some teenagers took a cross bow and shot a kitten, the poor kitten was so small he could bearly walk around with the cross bow bolt in his body but by some miracle the arrow that went through him, didn't strike any organs and he was found and treated and was fine.

Why have a pet if you don't want their company. I have a kitten sleeping on my shoulder draped down across my chest as I type. I desire their company, just seeing them sleeping somewhere or walking around my house lifts my mood. They are loved and cherished and it would hurt my heart to see them outside and come across someone who didn't love them like I do and I know they would.

Not too mention the different wild animals that can hurt pets. Here in Florida Alligators are well known to catch peoples dogs, take them right off the end of a leash.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
I had a cat that would stalk my birds in my backyard. The backyard is fenced and I also have a couple rabbits that would hide out there. I tried to deter the neighbor's cat.. but it would always come back. I bought a motion sensor water sprayer. I think it was called a "scarecrow". That cat would come in, and would spray water at it.. It worked like a charm. Works for Deers also. Best thing they ever invented. Try it!
No personal experience, but having done some research I can tell you that these come highly rated in a lot of reviews. I'm thinking I need one for the last rabbit that I cannot lure into a trap. I am tired of it cutting of a branch of a hosta, then leaving it without eating it. Instead it cuts off another.

I either trap it, scare it away, or kill it. Killing is the last resort. Not really my style.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
Quote:
Please forgive me, I was totally wrong ( How's that for a married man)
Good Rankin! I was about to chew you out too! I have a friend who's cat was shot with a BB gun and it cost her a lot in vet bills!

I have heard that cayanne pepper is good to deter animals from your flower bed. I had squirrels digging in mine and used it and they quit digging. I just bought some el'cheapo pepper and sprinkled it all round.

There are just to many hazzards out there to let your pets roam free. My friend who's cat was shot swore her pets never leave the yard but this cat did NOT get shot in his own yard. She had a dog that was poisioned and he was not poisioned in his own yard either. Yet, she continues to let them out. There is just to much meaness out there to let a pet out.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
I just found this and glad to see the problem was addressed with the SPCA. It is unfortunate that people let their cats roam outdoors..I have the same problem in my garden. They love to play hide & seek in my daylilies and have destroyed most of them this year..I sprinkled a Hertz thing I found at a garden store and it worked well....now the cats just poo in my front yard grass..YIKES. So, I may ask for a Scarecrow sprinkler for Christmas. BTW, I have 3 cats and they ALL stay indoors. Not only am I worried about them getting hit by a vehicle or bothering others who do not like cats but I also worry about the potential health risks they may get from other outdoor cats...some of which can be brought back inside and even passed to humans. There is an ordiance for this in Cincy but getting it enforced is the problem. Also, I just posted some pretty pics from a garden tour I took in my neighborhood this weekend if anyone is interested in checking them out. They are on my profile since I cannot figure out how to post them on these threads. Have a great day!

Old 07-12-2008, 12:15 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
Do they run away from you. If not, fill a spray bottle with water and lemon juice and go up and spray them with it. After getting hit in the face with the stuff a few times they might decide they don't like your yard to much.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:14 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I BB gun will only sting a cat when hit and would be non-deadly. He would high tail it out of the area and after awhile not be back.

If I wanted to suggest injury or death I'd have recommended a pellet gun or out in the country a small shot gun.
Someone killed a cat with a BB gun last year here. I found this running a search on outside cats. Horrible, cruel, suggestion. A hose works just as well. Shame on you for advocating injury to animals.

-I see you took it back, but even advocating it at all is very, very cruel.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I have the same problem, I think my neighbor must have about 50 cats. They let all of them run wild. We have woods behind our houses and the cats survive on their own (I think). What angers me is when they come into my yard. I can't even have mulch around my trees because the cats poop in it and scratch it into piles. One time I even stuck my fingers in it by accident. A few weeks ago I bought a new car cover for one of my cars and then I discovered the cats had climbed on it and ripped it up. If I were to go to my neighbors I know they would deny the cats belong to them. There's really nothing I can do.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have the same problem, I think my neighbor must have about 50 cats. They let all of them run wild. We have woods behind our houses and the cats survive on their own (I think). What angers me is when they come into my yard. I can't even have mulch around my trees because the cats poop in it and scratch it into piles. One time I even stuck my fingers in it by accident. A few weeks ago I bought a new car cover for one of my cars and then I discovered the cats had climbed on it and ripped it up. If I were to go to my neighbors I know they would deny the cats belong to them. There's really nothing I can do.
Sure there is. Get Animal Control out there to trap them. Fifty cats isn't normal, your neighbor can't argue that they're pets.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:28 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Now that I've got the squirrels, somewhat, under control, what am I going to do about these nasty, neighbor's cats? We had about a dozen barn cats on our farm, and they kept the mice and moles down, which was great. But these cats are daring, stalking, fat cats, rolling in my flower beds, smashing my flowers, breeding, relieving themselves after they dig their holes, and creating a mess. The neighbors are gone most of the day, and the cats roam the area.

Now, these critters have gotten so daring, they are walking the railing on my deck, prancing on the bird feeders and attacking my gold finch and purple thrush! I'm about ready to call the SPCA to send the guy with the butterfly net! I can't think of a better solution. We have laws about loose and barking dogs, but don't know how to control these things. Anybody else? Is there a deterent?
Make the call.....what a shame these kitties are not spayed and neutered and not being taken care of properly. They may be issued a warning! Which may help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden