Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 02:48 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times

Advertisements

I have cats, and I love cats, but I think cats should be indoors only! It's better for everyone - the cats, the owners and the neighbors. It's a win-win-win situation.

I can't stand people who have 'outdoor cats' because they don't want to deal with a litter box. HELLO? Do the cats stop going to the bathroom because you let them out? No, they're doing it in your neighbor's veggie garden. Uh! It makes me so mad! Our Town has no ordinances about cats, so people can legally let them run wild and breed out of control.

To deal with my neighbors cats, I spray with water, throw rocks, hiss at them and put eggshells in my newly planted veggie rows to make the soil less appealing as a toilet.

And the same neighbor was letting her dog do it's business on my lawn. I returned her 'property' to her. On her front step. Sorry, not mine, you must have left this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 10:32 AM

186 posts, read 794,566 times
One of my neighbors has a tom cat that roams the neighborhood in spite of the local law requiring that cats allowed outdoors must be neutered. He spent most of his time in either my back garden or the foundation shrubs in the front of my house, where he fought with other roaming cats, peed, pooped, and made a nuisance of himself. I scattered pieces of citrus rind.....grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange, around the base of the plants and gave it a heavy sprinkling of ground black pepper. No more cats.

......except for another cat that dug huge holes under my backyard fence to hunt birds in my garden. I think I've finally successfully chased him off with a broom/hose/rake/yelling.

People who own pets and permit them to roam without regard for neighbors don't deserve to own animals. Pets belong on their own property where they can pee, poop and destroy to their heart's content. Other people's animals shouldn't be anyone else's problem and the SPCA should be notified if the owner can't be bothered to keep their pet at home where it's safe and not a nuisance to others.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:40 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I think one of the commercial cat repellents on the fence might work......dry cayenne pepper is also supposed to act as a deterent. Or the motion detector water or the garden hose.....all are humane.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:47 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Oh my, that does sound like a nasty problem.

My dad had a stray come in about 8 years ago... mistake of not giving her away... she had kittens, kittens, kittens. We managed to give them all away, but over the years we kept a few. We had them spayed/neutered, but some of them were wild and we could not catch them. Not sure about your area, but around here no one will come and get them. They will loan you a trap and you can catch them, but you have to take them to the shelter.

One of the cats in particular would fight the other cats and would literally urinate on everything. My father had the most difficult time catching this one. He was here for about a year before he finally caught him (which was about 3 weeks ago). He would urinate on car wheels (ruined TWO sets of new wheels on my dads classic car) and would urinate on the windshield, plants, doors and would literally mangle the flowers, etc. After being here for a year, I kinda hated to see him go because you kinda get used to seeing them, but
it was for his own good I guess. He was a mean tomcat and was vandalizing the entire neighborhood. Down the street, someone had let out a bunch of cats at a neighbors and I heard that the man took a shot gun to many of them! I do not like to hear of that kind of violence toward them. Yes, they can be pests, but the most humane way is to catch them and take them into a shelter I guess. There really is no good or easy way. Whats worse now is that we have neighbors cats from all over the neighborhood roaming the area here and they all fight and squall. We have also reverted to the water hose technique. They loathe water!

These cats you mention sound like real warts... festering pustules of malignant ooze. We had some like these... always ruined things - digging, smashing shrubs, kept the dogs barking, etc... they were the bane of our lives for awhile - but those were able to be caught.

It does not take long for the population to get out of control. Like I said the sad thing is, this was not even our cat. We had ONE cat and she died in 2005 at 18 years of age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
But these cats are daring, stalking, fat cats, rolling in my flower beds, smashing my flowers, breeding, relieving themselves after they dig their holes, and creating a mess. The neighbors are gone most of the day, and the cats roam the area.

Now, these critters have gotten so daring, they are walking the railing on my deck, prancing on the bird feeders and attacking my gold finch and purple thrush! I'm about ready to call the SPCA to send the guy with the butterfly net! I can't think of a better solution. We have laws about loose and barking dogs, but don't know how to control these things. Anybody else? Is there a deterrent?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:14 AM

956 posts, read 3,002,402 times
Quote:
Now that I've got the squirrels, somewhat, under control, what am I going to do about these nasty, neighbor's cats? We had about a dozen barn cats on our farm, and they kept the mice and moles down, which was great. But these cats are daring, stalking, fat cats, rolling in my flower beds, smashing my flowers, breeding, relieving themselves after they dig their holes, and creating a mess. The neighbors are gone most of the day, and the cats roam the area.

Now, these critters have gotten so daring, they are walking the railing on my deck, prancing on the bird feeders and attacking my gold finch and purple thrush! I'm about ready to call the SPCA to send the guy with the butterfly net! I can't think of a better solution. We have laws about loose and barking dogs, but don't know how to control these things. Anybody else? Is there a deterent?
Why don't you try leaving them alone?

Old 10-15-2008, 06:05 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Quote:
Problem solved.
SPCA bagged them and took them back to his "office". I told him the name/address of the owner, and the owner had to pay to get them back. I doubt if they'll be in all of our yards tomorrow.
I'd love to hear an update, if the neighbor became a good neighbor or if the cats are back or if you haven't seen them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden