Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:33 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times

Advertisements

Now that I've got the squirrels, somewhat, under control, what am I going to do about these nasty, neighbor's cats? We had about a dozen barn cats on our farm, and they kept the mice and moles down, which was great. But these cats are daring, stalking, fat cats, rolling in my flower beds, smashing my flowers, breeding, relieving themselves after they dig their holes, and creating a mess. The neighbors are gone most of the day, and the cats roam the area.

Now, these critters have gotten so daring, they are walking the railing on my deck, prancing on the bird feeders and attacking my gold finch and purple thrush! I'm about ready to call the SPCA to send the guy with the butterfly net! I can't think of a better solution. We have laws about loose and barking dogs, but don't know how to control these things. Anybody else? Is there a deterent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 05:50 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,409 times
Dont blame the cats, blame the jerk offs that own them. Call the SPCA-they obviously are not too cared for by your neighbors.

I suspect talking to the humans will get you nowhere. i know you are frustrated, rightfully so, but Please do not blame the critters-they don't understand that they are causing you trouble, the nieghbors do and don't care.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Dont blame the cats, blame the jerk offs that own them. Call the SPCA-they obviously are not too cared for by your neighbors.

I suspect talking to the humans will get you nowhere. i know you are frustrated, rightfully so, but Please do not blame the critters-they don't understand that they are causing you trouble, the nieghbors do and don't care.
You're right! It's not the fault of the cats. One neighbor talked with the owners, and nothing happened. The cats are pretty fat and happy, though, and seem to be fed well! Probably filling up on my goldfinch!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Trap them and turn them over to the Humane Society.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Cats do what they want.
Dont trap them. Thats wierd.

Just spray them with the hose. They will figure it out after awhile. Its summer they will dry off and wont be too keen on coming back.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
BB Guns & a good dog

Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
BB Guns & a good dog
You can't be serious about BB guns.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:48 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,053 times
I had a cat that would stalk my birds in my backyard. The backyard is fenced and I also have a couple rabbits that would hide out there. I tried to deter the neighbor's cat.. but it would always come back. I bought a motion sensor water sprayer. I think it was called a "scarecrow". That cat would come in, and would spray water at it.. It worked like a charm. Works for Deers also. Best thing they ever invented. Try it!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:48 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Contact a local stray/feral rescue group, they should be able to able w/options to spay and neuter - they won't have any more babies, they will keep the "critter" population down, they probably will continue to "frolic" in your flowers

Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times
My baby Robins nesting under my deck got eaten by the neighbors cat. They let it roam all over peeing on everything (which absolutely stinks) and pooping in the flowerbeds. Well the other day I got some payback. The kitty got very wet whilst stalking across my newly planted lawn. He hasn't been back for a while!

Where I live there are leash laws for both dogs and cats. Maybe call the city and file a complaint, if talking to the neighbor is not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden