Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:44 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
How do you keep your indeterminates from turning into a tomato jungle? We've had such challenges with indeterminate varieties; they produce fabulous fruits, but they turn into such garden-gobblers. By the end of August, we can't even get a foot into the garden; have to try to harvest with baskets on long poles. And it's so sad to see a lovely, perfect ripe 'mater just out of reach.

We're back to Viva Italia again this year, which is a determinate variety that produces a plethora of lovely Roma-style tomatoes. They're great for eating, salads, or cooking, and we generally wind up with 30 or 40 pounds in the deep freeze, from 8 or 10 plants. The spouse wanted a couple of plants that would produce big sandwich-style fruits, too, so we broke down and got Wisconsin 55's, even though they're indeterminate.

If we ever reach the point of having unlimited time and space, I'd like to go back to Amish Paste. They're another Roma-style that produces even better than the Viva Italia, but they wind up 6 or 7 feet high and about 5 or 6 feet across, so they need a lot more space than we've got available.

I've heard that professional farmers nip back the indeterminates to control their tendency to take over the entire yard, but I've never known how that's done. Does anyone have experience with that sort of thing?
I'll explain it as best as I can with this 4 month old kitten trying to bond on me at the moment. It goes like this. You need tall stakes at least 5.5' long. I had a driver made from heavy pipe with a steel plate across on end and handles on the side to drive the stakes in the ground. One stake goes at the end of the row. Plant 3 plants about 30" apart and add a stake. Continue this patten to the end of the row where you place the last stake. These tomatoes need pruning to about 3 main stems from near the base of the plant and the rest of the suckers kept pinched out. Here is a link showing a pruning concept. Not the best example. Google tomato pruning and you'll find a good one somewhere out there.

Pruning Tomatoes - Fine Gardening Article

When the plant get up to about 18 inches high you can use baling twine to build a type of trellis. I bought an inexpensive roll of the plastic type that lasted several seasons. Simply tie the twine to the end post and take it to the next post and wrap and so on to the end of the row. The twine only goes on one side of the plants. Now from the other end repeat this until you get back to where you started. As the plants grow keep the suckers out except for the 3 best ones you originally left and do another wrap of twine about every foot of upward growth trainig the vines to stay between the strands of twine. It's real easy once you do it. Litteraly thouands of acres are planted this way commercially. They only use determinate varieties that ripen almost all at once which is not good except for canning time in a home garden. Only pruce indeterminate varieties or you will severly limit production. With this system we planted our rows about 4' apart and had room to harvest all season long. We did put them up on raised beds to keep their feet dry with the heavy midwestern soil. Many bales of wheat straw were used to keep weeds out and to preserve ground moisture during dry years. If I find one of the head high tomato photos I'll DM it to you. Enjoy your garden. I so miss mine. And the same trellis worked for tall growing sweet peas. HTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:38 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
Noma, thanks for the suggestions! I'll copy 'em off to my gardening file for when we get brave enough to try another indeterminate. It's pretty clear, though, that we'll either need to take in more ground for the garden or else plant fewer plants, possibly both.

Wish the silly website would let me rep ya for the post but it seems to be acting up tonight; will come back and try again later.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:56 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Noma, thanks for the suggestions! I'll copy 'em off to my gardening file for when we get brave enough to try another indeterminate. It's pretty clear, though, that we'll either need to take in more ground for the garden or else plant fewer plants, possibly both.

Wish the silly website would let me rep ya for the post but it seems to be acting up tonight; will come back and try again later.
If you have one 50' row of indeterminates you can get 20 plants in pruned to 3 stems and 25 if you limit to 2 stems. That's a lot of tomatoes. I had around 600 jetstars alone done this way. If pruned to 2 stems and not allowed to set to early and thinned some of them got up to around 12 OZ each. Real nice slicers. We had Big Girls up to about 20 OZ when manicured properly. Largest tomato I ever grew was a Pink Tomboy at 3 lbs 5 1/4 ounces. I'll have to work up a drawing and scan it to show the ideal pruning technique that allows more shade and better sized tomatoes too. I think that a lot of the heritage tomatoes are indetrimate so if you go for those pruning and staking will help too. One of the characteristics that I measured for a tomato to be a favorite in addition to having great taste and heavy production was to have good sun protection. Ample foliage is a must for full sun tomatoes. My look at the time. No wonder my eyes are heavy. G'nite.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:18 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Early girl! I have tried many, many kinds but always came back to the Early girls. They can up fantastic, taste great and produce like crazy.

Roma is good for canning too but I don't care for them just to eat straight out of the garden.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 AM

543 posts, read 2,310,905 times
Cherokee Purple is one of the best we have found. Also like Old German and Black Krim. Another one we plant is Fourth of July, nice flavor, ripen early, and we get tons of tomatoes off each vine.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:36 AM

869 posts, read 2,955,398 times
tomatoes are nasty!

I guess you kids can figure I don't like to eat them...unless it's as a can of soup...

Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
My favorite are the ones that have leaped into the canner already.

If only! LOL

I grew Celebrity, Early Girl, and Roma this season. Got a few Sweet 100 volunteers from last season; I don't care for Sweet 100, but instead prefer a larger cherry tomato that I can't find anymore. Guess I'll have to start seeds if I want something other than what the local garden store carries.

Last year I grew a yellow pear cherry tomato. It was incredibly delicious. I couldn't find it again, and no volunteers.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 AM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Beefmaster, sliced thick and between two pieces of home made sourdough with mayo, salt and pepper. Mmmmmm.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 AM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
My boss raves about the heirloom tomato called the 'Mortgage Lifter'

Mortgage Lifter, Mortgage Lifter Tomato, Beefsteak Tomato, Beeftseak, Tomato, Tomato Seeds, Tomatoes, Seeds, Seed Catalog, Vegetable Seeds, Lycopersicon esculentum, Heirloom Tomato, Heirloom Vegetables

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Halladay Mortgage Lifter. Huge, ugly, sweet and juicy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden