Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice.
I've only changed the sugar solution once, but as I said, the feeder has only been up for a week...it is in a shady spot, too. Well, I will be patient.
Today I was able to watch a hummingbird who was resting on a branch, and it was kinda cool to see one at rest. They are so shiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I've only changed the sugar solution once, but as I said, the feeder has only been up for a week...it is in a shady spot, too. Well, I will be patient.
If you are using the red liquid from the store and someone in the neighborhood is making their own formula - and they have the hummers flocking to their feeders, ya might want to ask your neighbor what recipe they are using. (the 4:1 ratio mentioned earlier in this thread sounds terribly weak) I have a neighbor who uses the red liquid from the store and she only occasionally gets one or two hummers and the feeder doesn't need to be filled any more than a couple times a week.

The swarms are hanging out at my feeders. My poor neighbor hast o be wondering what I am doing, but I'm not the sort that offers advice unless asked. I'll just let my go empty for a day so she'll have some hummers visit her.

Don't worry about ants, they know where they are not wanted and don't be fooled into thinking that all the hummingbirds eat is nectar anmd sugar water. Ants might get hungry but they aren't stupid. Ever see ants invade a beehive? You never will, either. Your feeder is more apt to attract bees than ants. Don't chase them off. We need the bees. And the bees will ensure the ants keep their distance.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:25 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
We've had hummers buzzing all over the place, and I have seen them sipping from my flowers, but not the feeder. I keep thinking that I must be doing something wrong? I've only had the feeder up for about a week, maybe I just need to wait awhile.
What kind of feeder did you buy?

I once bought an artsy, art glass feeder... it was actually purple and shaped like grapes. For some reason -- maybe because I had no previous feeders to clue in the hummingbirds and purple grapes are not their favorite color -- I got no hummingbirds to that feeder.

I've still got that feeder and since these hummers are already looking for feeders - and not too discriminating -- -- I'm going to get that one back out and see what happens!

or, maybe you've just got too many tasty flowers for them to want sugar water !!!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
What are you disinfecting the feeders with? Be very careful. Best bet is to wash them out with hot water and scrub them with a clean abrasive sponge, no disinfectant. Cheers!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:47 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Default Held a hummer on my open hand for 5 long minutes!

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.
Today I was able to watch a hummingbird who was resting on a branch, and it was kinda cool to see one at rest. They are so shiny.
I know what you mean, BlueWillowPlate...they are cool to watch at rest.

We have a feeder on the shady side of the screened porch, next to the door. The other day a hummer followed me onto the porch - he shot right past my head and I didn't notice until it was too late. I opened the door wide, and hoped he'd find his way out, but he kept hitting the screen until, exhausted, he sank to the floor. I picked him up gently to take him outside. He didn't struggle at all. He just sat in my open palm and didn't take off.
I tried to put him on the feeder, but he wasn't gripping the perch and I knew he would fall off. So, I sat on the porch steps, just waiting for him to rest a bit and to see what would happen. We sat there for about 5 minutes, and he suddenly took off! We watched each other all that time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He was irridescent green, so pretty! What tiny feathers! It was a rare treat.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:22 AM

Default Vinegar to disenfect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What are you disinfecting the feeders with? Be very careful. Best bet is to wash them out with hot water and scrub them with a clean abrasive sponge, no disinfectant. Cheers!
The box that my feeder came in recommended using a little bit of vinegar and warm water to clean them...

Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The box that my feeder came in recommended using a little bit of vinegar and warm water to clean them...
I've been using hot water and a brush, but thanks for the vinegar tip. I'll use that next time.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
My feeder is just a plain red feeder with a clear glass bottle.
I wonder if they just like my flowers better?
A neighbor of mine says the hummers love her feeder, but they leave her dad's (next door) feeder alone. Who knows what goes on in their iridescent little heads.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:22 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,498 times
Blue, I find right now the hummers do prefer the nectar from the flowers, and aren't going for mine as much right now either. But that's a good thing.

Try changing your solution, a few will probably go to it .. the lazy ones.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:31 PM

I was outside day before yesterday with a long lensed camera focused on my hummingbird feeder when one happened to stop by... suddenly he saw me and made that cool little squeek that they make... and he quickly flew away.

Today, I happened to look out my patio door and there he was right outside the door hovering, looking in at me.
Guess it was the same one... there are several here.

Hummingbirds are so amazing... and that little squeek that they make when they are arguing or startled is so different than other birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden