Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times

Advertisements

I signed up to do the Audubon surveys and have been doing them for the past week randomly throughout the day when I have 10-15 min. to sit near the window and watch the feeder. I thought we only had three hummingbirds but the cup of nectar I put out on Monday was gone Tuesday morning. Last night I counted 9 hummingbirds swarming around the feeder at dusk. I filled the bigger feeder with 2 cups. It's been steadily busy all morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:57 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Good for you Neditate! I still have no sightings I've made my feeder as inviting as I can by hanging Dianthus and Pansies on either side. Changing the nectar so it stays fresh I hope one will find it soon if not it will be another sad summer of not watching hummers.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:11 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,329 times
OMG they are soooooo cute! I love to watch them fly up to the flowers by the window!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:01 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
yes they are very cute and that little grinding sound they make is cute too that usually clues me into the fact that they are back .

Old 05-07-2014, 07:03 PM

336 posts, read 575,103 times
Here in Iowa, I saw my first on May 5th. I put out my feeders about two weeks ago. They are really enjoying my white bleeding hearts too!!!1

Old 05-07-2014, 07:43 PM

At this point I'm about ready to order a small red patio umbrella to bring them here.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:08 AM

7 posts, read 9,797 times
Default Hummingbirds here in the NW corner

I have several hummingbird feeders. I asked for advise from someone I knew that always had many birds at her home. This is what advise she gave me.

1) The birds are territorial and will try to run off other birds. This is why she puts several feeder out - spaced
apart.

2) The solution she uses 50/50 (1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water) may seem excessive but its what brings
so many to feed. (She is right - they flocked to the feeders)

3) Wash the containers but make sure you get ALL residue out as it can harm the birds.

4) You dont have to boil the water and dont use food coloring.

5) She changes out the feeder about every 2-3 weeks. Her feeders are in partial shade. (I have to change
more often because I have so many birds)

I have been doing this faithfully for the past year. Its incredible how many birds come to feed in our garden.
The hummingbirds are so bold, they feed even with us standing right next to the feeder or even walking around them. I have hummingbirds literally around the clock in day light hours. I dont believe I go more than 10 minutes without seeing one. Their last visits are right before it gets dark.

We had a big snow (for us) a few days this past winter and everything would freeze - so I kept bringing out new food every few hours for them and I believed they appreciated it. We get hummingbirds all year round.
Attached Thumbnails
hummingbirds-022.jpg  

Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 AM

We went about 80 miles north of us yesterday for a cookout and I saw so many hummers. I just sat in the yard watching for them because they had feeders in different parts of the yard. It was a pleasure to sit & watch them like I use to at the farm.

Sigh now I need to get them here I'd be happy since I have my patio all done with veggies & flowers they'd be the topping on the cake.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:56 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Good for you Neditate! I still have no sightings I've made my feeder as inviting as I can by hanging Dianthus and Pansies on either side. Changing the nectar so it stays fresh I hope one will find it soon if not it will be another sad summer of not watching hummers.
Try planting tubular flowers such as penstemon, certain salvias, bee balm, and the like to attract hummingbirds. A flat-faced flower like dianthus and pansies are pretty but the hummingbirds need the tubular shape. I no longer use a hummingbird feeder since they spend most of the day sipping the flowers I have in containers on my terrace. Good luck attracting your hummingbirds!

Old 06-15-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Try planting tubular flowers such as penstemon, certain salvias, bee balm, and the like to attract hummingbirds. A flat-faced flower like dianthus and pansies are pretty but the hummingbirds need the tubular shape. I no longer use a hummingbird feeder since they spend most of the day sipping the flowers I have in containers on my terrace. Good luck attracting your hummingbirds!
Yes thank you I know the pansies won't attract them but the tag said dianthus would . We changed some of the flowers there are tubular they weren't close to the feeder. I'll keep trying nobody else is seeing much activity here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden