Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe that's why I didn't know what was doing the damage. But one day, there it was, the horrid thing. .
Once I accidentally brushed up against one of those with my bare skin......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I pick 'em off barehanded. Horn worm life cycle

Old 06-21-2013, 09:56 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
I wonder how they taste sauteed.

tomato hookworm recipes - Google Search

Old 06-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I wonder how they taste sauteed.

tomato hookworm recipes - Google Search
I'll let someone else find out and tell us about it.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
So far no worms, but I am about to cry. I am seeing color in my cherry tomatoes and the other varieties are getting bigger by the day. There will be no problem with tomatoes this year except what to do with them, but the rest: ok, my cantalopes are looking good or the blossoms are anyway. So that is a positive but the squash is still noting but a bunch of blossoms, except for that one little guy. One patty pan doesn't make much of a meal. I can hear the bee or bees, early in the morning, so I know they are there, but I don't know what they are doing, pollinating doesn't seem to be it. Then my beans, oh my beans: well the plants are beautiful and I could pick a couple dozen beans a day if I want, but what do I do with a bean that is about as big around as a needle? Hopefully my plants in pots will put a smile back on my face.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
I didn't read through all the posts, but I had a recipe to keep most all insects off the plants. Take two, or three fresh jalapenos, sliced. Put in 2 quart pot of water, and boil for about 30 minutes. Best if you can do it on a day the windows can be open, as the fumes are strong. Outside is better. Remove peppers, and after cooled, pour it in a sprayer, and spray all over everything. I had great luck getting rid of the pests in my garden using it.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Up here I have a lot of leaf veggies, still but the others are still just getting started. I picked some more kale so that the baby cucumbers could get more sun. I cannot BELIEVE I may actually get cucumbers this year. It is a garden miracle.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:52 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
I didn't read through all the posts, but I had a recipe to keep most all insects off the plants. Take two, or three fresh jalapenos, sliced. Put in 2 quart pot of water, and boil for about 30 minutes. Best if you can do it on a day the windows can be open, as the fumes are strong. Outside is better. Remove peppers, and after cooled, pour it in a sprayer, and spray all over everything. I had great luck getting rid of the pests in my garden using it.
How about Habeneros? I've had good luck doing that w/ Cayenne & garlic, also have used tomato & petunia leaves as well, but thought I'd try some Habeneros on the squash bugs this year.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
This was my Dad's garden when I was a kid at home in the late 60's. Actually it's only about 1/3 of it. We had corn and potatoes in another section along with strawberries and raspberries. He was a real perfectionist when it came to planting. Everything had to be lined off and practically surveyed. Those rows are about 150 feet long and all done with a garden hoe. It took a lot of food to raise 15 kids and we learned a good work ethic in the process. Growing up, I used to hate working in a garden but now I'd be lost without one. If nothing else, it's a very inexpensive hobby and good therapy for the body and soul.
Love it!! Are those flowers marigolds growing along the edge?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
This was taken last week from the other end of my garden. It looks to be a great year for gardening with all the rain we're having.
Used to have an acre like this and boy do I miss it. Trouble is now the kids have kids and no cheap labor. Grand kids to far away to commandeer. I've taken another approach for fresh food. Have people that have land that are willing to share if I buy the seed and fertilizer and they have able young bodies. Home grown watermelons like we like on the way. Desert Kings along with cow horn okra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden