Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,778,626 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking we will be moving in about 5 years.

I've really done a lot of work growing new plants and spending a bit in my Hosta addiction.

In the past when i've moved - I've always taken my favorite plants with me ... BUT i've never had a long distance move.

the first was 7 miles, the next was 4 blocks

my next one will most likely be out of state.

I'm already starting to worry about all the plants i plan to take with me.

Does anyone else do this? or do you just start all over again?

TIA,

tcs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 04:11 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
I started all over again since all of my plants died from freeze . so go figure got to start again yeah . more roses .

Old 04-01-2009, 04:30 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,924 times
you know, thats why some people prefer to plant in pots. they can then just take all their pots with them. i know someone who did this.

another person i know prepared a couple months in advance and transplanted what they could and what they wanted to take into cheap plastic pots (which were put back into the ground). when it was time to move they pulled the pots up, the plants had aclimated for the most part and they loaded them into a truck. most plants made it. some some died in transition and very few in the pots.

you can also try cuttings. or start collecting seeds of your fav ones now.

some plants cant take the shock very well, others do.

its amatter of what you really cant live without. and what is reasonable.

either way, good luck.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM

I think i will have enough notice for putting some faves [hostas] in pots. Many can be regrown by seeds, and i have a Jackmanii that always comes with me along with a bunch of roses.

I guess i will have to see about the timing of the move....

in a perfect world, we will find some land and build ... though that maybe hard being in a different state... but possibly / hopefully do able.

We will most likely start looking when the kids are out of college. my youngest is 18 ... so that is how we come up with 5 yrs.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,163,511 times
Be sure to remove all the plants you want to take before you list the house. If not, the new owners might be reluctant to let them go. Put them in pots in the spring before the move and be sure the realtors note that those pots and plants will not be staying with the house. Start collecting containers now. You'll want to take way more than you should or can. Cuttings, seeds, and tubers are easier to move but it will be stressful regardless.

When I left my condo, I left everything. I was told that the buyer wanted it just the way it was. 2 months later, she had ripped out all the plants and put down concrete over the beds. I had a very nice collection of stargazers that I would have taken if I had known that. I spent a lot of money the year before on my garden. Oh well. It was hers as soon as the ink was dry.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 PM

99% of the plants i left behind are gone too. I was devastated ... i had a gorgeous - weed free perennial bed... now she has a weed bed. but she left the Yuccas, which i hated.
I haven't looked around the yard to see if they tore everything else out.... But i spent 12 yrs building those beds.... they are actually friends of ours, so we do go there from time to time.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,163,511 times
If I planned to sell my house to another gardener, I wouldn't feel so bad. But I also realized that I wasn't just selling the condo, but the patio garden too. I haven't gone back to look. The neighbors were telling me about it via email. They were a little disturbed. She started hacking on the Carolina Jasmine that sprawled over a shared fence. She killed half of their vine and sprayed it with Roundup. These vines were well over 4 years old and had finally covered the tacky vinyl fence completely.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:48 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,862,040 times
I dig up my plants and take them with me if I own. When renting I just keep them in pots so they are mobile. I am currently renting so my entire flower garden is in pots. A few I bring in so they don't freeze but most do quite well and they ship well also as long as they are going to a compatible growing zone.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 PM

311 posts, read 916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
I'm thinking we will be moving in about 5 years.

my next one will most likely be out of state.

I'm already starting to worry about all the plants i plan to take with me.

Does anyone else do this? or do you just start all over again?

tcs
I brought my pony tail palm, some bromeliads with me from FL to Northern Indiana 8 yrs ago and they are still doing fine. I over winter them in the house and my basement under a grow light. The main thing you have to figure out is if you are changing growing zones...things that grow well in zone 5 may not survive the heat in zone 8 or 9. Lots of plants that do well in semi sunny spots here in Indiana will fry in the sun of zone 8 or 9 and might be grown, but will need deep shade.

I miss allot of the things I could grow in FL, but on the other hand, I missed the spring bulbs, lilacs, the flowering trees we have here that FL does not. Every place is a trade off in one way or another. The trick is in deciding what is easy for you to trade off and what is not! Good luck to you in your new location.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
LOL when we moved last May, I dug up everything, dirt and all, but the trees, lined my pickup truck bed with a tarp, put everything in the tarp, soaked it down and then pulled the tarp back over the bed and tied it down. I kept it watered the whole week it took for us to move 1700 miles and get settled, then dumped the tarp on the ground at the new place and started planting!

Everything survived. Not only survived, but the daylilies and the roses were blooming! My daughter took over the old place, trimmed back the trees and put in a lawn. Now the folks who are looking at the house to buy it have NO idea that there were rose and daylily, fruit and flower gardens throughout!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden