Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,153,738 times

Advertisements

I am confronted by a lawn with quite a lot of quackgrass in it which TruGreen has not been able to deal with and I am wondering what is the best and most effective way to get rid of it? My rough estimate is almost 30 to 40% of the lawn is quackgrass now. I really don't feel like pulling it all out manually because there is too much of it and the root system is quite extensive.

Any ideas about how to effectively remove quackgrass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:21 PM

8 posts, read 18,914 times
Need to know where you live, what type grass you want it out of.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Central Indiana and I believe the good grass is Kentucky Bluegrass. It seems that the quackgrass doesn't even go completely dormant over the winter. One chemical lawn guy looked at it in late March or early April and said it is Tall Fescue. Then another guy with the same company just today said it is Quackgrass and they don't have a selective herbicide to kill it. He mentioned something about waiting until fall to aerate the lawn to try to get the quackgrass out that way and throw grass seed down where the quackgrass was.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:08 AM

481 posts, read 806,637 times
Give up. Turn your lawn into a raised bed veggie or flower garden. It would be pretty and functional.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Give up. Turn your lawn into a raised bed veggie or flower garden. It would be pretty and functional.
That sounds like an excellent idea to avoid mowing, except nothing would grow during the cold winter months...no flowers and no cucumbers. I can always put astro turf down which may be cheaper than trying to remove all of the deep Quackgrass roots/rhizomes. Roundup concentrate plus hasn't killed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden