Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times

Advertisements

It is so funny.... how you start talking or thinking about something like block walls, landscaping beds, even house colors you're thinking of trying out....then you see them EVERYWHERE and maybe for the first time, actually noticed something you've driven by 100x and never really paid attention.

Actually, I must say....that first and foremost, all of my fences, borders and walls and even trellises and fences must first be functional...then either, (A) Choose which plants/structures,(softscape) will go in the bed, based on the "personality" of the hardscape.

There isn't a single, formal thing about my garden. I live in a very old home, I like to create landscaped areas which appear to have been here as long as the house. Even though we live at the beach, I kind of grew up in the woods. I love ferns and the sun dappling the ground through tree leaves and moss covered rocks. Ahhhhhh... We have "beachy" areas and then we have woodsy areas. Why? Because I have to have it all.

My yard is also never the same for more than 2 years. By that time, I am ready for a change and I've gotten a wild hair and decided it's time to redo something. I exasperate my husband, because he never knows what he's going to come home to, if I've had too much time on my hands. So? mortar in a wall or border? Hahaha....that would never work around here. I have to be able to take things apart, in order to reuse them. No, mortar would never do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 06:41 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
It's so true. Today I went to the Y for a swim and what did I notice? Well, next to the parking lot they have this brick circle in the pavement and.....it is surrounded by four stone walls, with openings between them so that a person could walk there. Maybe they are for people to sit on....but that didn't matter. They were stone walls, three stones wide.

Driving home, there were more stone walls, three stones wide with mortar on top and there were remains of very old stone walls, partially fallen down.

The area you live in sounds gorgeous--beach and woods. That's why you are BEACHmel? I am at the beach too, planting things in beach sand. Rugosa roses and wormwood. The marshland is incredible and there are woods too.

You sound like you have a real creative streak with all that moving of things, rearranging, improving, changing. It must be a lot of work but it's a labor of love.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:52 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I like the wall! The posts about change put a smile on my face! I moved to my little Cape Cod house 5 yrs. ago and every summer I change something in the yard/flower beds! I love that it is on the corner, people stop to see "what I'm doing this year"! The main topic of conversation is my hen and chicks, hundreds of them and every year I give several dozen away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden