Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:21 PM

878 posts, read 2,738,061 times

Advertisements

I live in a townhome community and while I have a small private backyard, I cannot put anything in the ground. So I have to resort to a potted vegetable garden. I live in the Atlanta suburbs. So would like your opinion on what works well in pots. Here is what I have so far, I have tomato (only one), two scotch bonnet peppers (I am jamaican and we love spicy)...I have thyme, sweet basil and rosemary. What else guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 02:11 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I live in a townhome community and while I have a small private backyard, I cannot put anything in the ground. So I have to resort to a potted vegetable garden. I live in the Atlanta suburbs. So would like your opinion on what works well in pots. Here is what I have so far, I have tomato (only one), two scotch bonnet peppers (I am jamaican and we love spicy)...I have thyme, sweet basil and rosemary. What else guys?
Do you like cucumbers? We did those in some pots several years back and had to give lots away as we had such a good crop. I don't know what kind they were but they were medium sized and delicious.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:34 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
Chives and Rosemary did really well for me last year. I'm like you though - I'm giving tomatoes a shot this year. So far, they are doing well (no fruit yet - probably about a month, and a stronger, healthier vine away!).

Old 05-02-2010, 03:25 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Anything that can be grown in the ground can be grown in a pot.
I am not sure about the weather your area. I have grown Squashes, Marrows, Beets, Onions, Radishes, Tomatoes, Peppers, and even Runner Beans.
Really, just about anything can be grown in pots.
Plus, many that are not tolerant of the soil conditions in your area, can be grown in pots, due to you being able to choose the soil conditions that they are growing in.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
My issue is waiting for some stable weather (I'm in the NorthEast). It has been ALL OVER the place since the beginning of the year. The plants are going gang-busters in a large Southern exposure window (don't even TALK to me about the Morning Glories - it's like a forest!). I just have to time the moving them from their window seat currently out to their patio boxes on the terraces. No transplanting - just making sure that the night frost does not shock them. They've been pretty much babied by me.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:31 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
My issue is waiting for some stable weather (I'm in the NorthEast). It has been ALL OVER the place since the beginning of the year. The plants are going gang-busters in a large Southern exposure window (don't even TALK to me about the Morning Glories - it's like a forest!). I just have to time the moving them from their window seat currently out to their patio boxes on the terraces. No transplanting - just making sure that the night frost does not shock them. They've been pretty much babied by me.
If they are that soft, the frost will kill them, not shock them.
You need to wait until there is no risk of frost.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:18 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
You can grow all kinds of vegetables in containers, if you have the proper containers and soil, weather, and light conditions. If you wish to grow vegetables in containers and want an easy way to do so, check out Earth Boxes or Garden Patch boxes. These are "self watering" containers, which is a little bit of a misnomer since you still need to water occasionally. They simply store extra water and provide a means of regulating the water used. I have used the Garden Patch boxes successfully, and my mom used the Earth Boxes successfully. Overall, I can't say one is particularly better than the other. Both offer suggestions of what you can grow successfully. I've grown tomatoes, eggplant, squash, corn, lettuce, carrots, peppers, and probably a few other things I can't recall in mine over the past few years. Here are a couple links so you can see them for yourself:

EarthBox - Home (http://www.earthbox.com/index.php - broken link)
The Garden Patch

Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
It would be nice if we had another sticky thread (yes, I know, I know) purely for those of us restricted to growing our veggies in containers.

Edited to add - thanks to jdavid for those links

Old 05-04-2010, 11:29 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
You can grow anything in a pot. The only issues are more watering and fertilizer leeching.

As for tomatoes, the optimum is usually between half a cubic foot to 2 cubic feet of soil per plant based on soil volume. In other words, 2 plants each in 1 cubic foot of soil will produce the same as 1 plant in 2 cubic feet of soil. This tends to tail off past 2 cubic feet where the output per plant may increase but will decrease as measured by soil volume.

Other issues are latitude and climate. Drier climates generally need irrigation systems or constant watering. Also, the further south, some plants become larger.

I like 5 gal self watering containers that have the compromises I prefer.

cheap earth container

Last edited by gwynedd1; 05-04-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 12:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Here's a pic of my little container garden from last year:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...er-garden.html

My yard is torn up this year and is ugggly, so no new pics. I had most of herbs listed (including cilantro that reseeded itself throughout the summer---lovely) cherry tomatoes and several peppers, plus Swiss chard.

I have to admit I'm visual . I pick herbs and veggies that I like to eat that also look attractive on my patio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden