Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:43 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times

Advertisements

Every source I have ever checked lists the alternate name for Mimosa as Silk Tree or Persian Silk Tree. An example would be the Dave's Garden listing:
PlantFiles: Detailed information on Silk Tree, Mimosa Tree, Pink Siris, Persian Silk Tree Albizia julibrissin No matter what you call it it is a nasty but pretty tree.

In many places it falls into the major invasive list and they are considered nearly as bad as kudzu. A friend and I just visited a wonderful little gem of a nursery that specializes in native plants and we noticed the number of sprouts all around that they owner must be battling. The original must have been chopped down but the sprouts were all over the open area They have a wonderful organic approach but it means that they do not employ RoundUp. As long as people do not understand the invasive nature, who willingly plant it, we will have more of the trees take over native habitats- just like purple loosestrife has up north in many wetland meadows. For many years that was sold at all the garden centers until it was too late. Crown Vetch is another that was spread from home gardens. Pretty, yes, but very destructive to many habitats and environmental niches.

PHawk morning glories do seem very pretty, don't they until you have to keep weeding them out of all sorts of places! LOL I'm glad I someone down the block in my old neighborhood go through that battle just as I was considering getting some. One of the hay fields near here gets really pretty with hundreds of them just before they hay. I wonder how the houses nearby fare with it seeding in their yards?

Some invasives are kept in check by cold or heat, or drought so they may not seem invasive in some places. Mimosas will behave better in dry and colder zones. Kudzu has not spread as rapidly the further north it has gotten. The best irony is when one "invades" the other's space, like the kudzu I spotted overgrowing a Mimosa. If I remember to take the camera when I go down that road sometime I'll take a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:57 PM

433 posts, read 1,143,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
One of the hay fields near here gets really pretty with hundreds of them just before they hay. I wonder how the houses nearby fare with it seeding in their yards?
I am surprised about the hay fields because I always thought the seed were poisonous.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 AM

168 posts, read 308,002 times
what if your neighbors yard is so overgrown that they dont need a lawnmower? the canopy from the trees keeps his yard to mostly dirt and misc schrubs. then can i use english ivy? im considering brass buttons due to the shade.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:28 PM

14 posts, read 36,725 times
Default How can I rid my yard of these invading plants?

I planted about 5 black eyed Susan's in the far back corner of my back yard years ago. The birds must hate me because now they are growing everywhere from the back and front yards to my drive way.

My lemon balm is growing everywhere including in my yard grass. I cut the blooms off and throw them in the trash cans but they continue to grow every where also.

I also made the mistake of planting October daisy's in my yard. I have been trying to get rid of them now since the second season after planting. 3 plants turned into 1,000 and now I have around 5,000 coming up every year. Year after year I have put round up on them, Used a hoe to destroy the running roots, I have even tilled them and cut them into a billion small pieces, tried to rake the chopped up roots and throw them away in the trash can. I have pulled the flowers off before they reseeded them selves. Every year I seem to have more to dig up and throw away than the year before. How can I stop these invasions get rid of these invaders for good?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 PM

14 posts, read 36,725 times
Default To ccronwell

Call the city to clean up your neighbors yard. They charge an outrages bill and every time it has grown up like that again, call the city. If he gets enough grief from the city and their enormous bills for cleaning it up, they will either keep it clean or continue to pay the city for cleaning it up. If your neighbor doesn't pay the city, they will have a lien put against the house that is on the property.
I hate those kind of neighbors.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I have clumping bamboo that hasn't spread more than maybe 5 inches in the past 9 years. Stick with clumping and you'll be ok. One of my neighbors planted the kind with runners and within 2 years, it was popping up all over his back yard

Old 07-07-2017, 03:55 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Heliconia will spread like crazy but can be contained by sidewalks and such. Same with bananas. Both of those will grow into a patch that is almost impossible to remove if you don't want them anymore.

We did have a lot of English ivy here, although that's been beaten way back now. There's some sort of pink flowered creeper vine which is still all over the place. It looks pretty but it spread like crazy.

The other thing we have around here is Guinea grass. It can grow taller than the shed within several seasons. Has little stickers on the stems that feel like you've been handling weathered fiberglass. Nasty stuff but it was imported for cows to eat and then the wind blew the seeds everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden