Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 02:29 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty201 View Post
I did my math wrong, we're actually 100.3% Native American. Sorry about the mistake.
Well, that's an amazung feat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 11:22 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why does everyone always seem to have a 'Cherokee' ancestor? Is it due to the fact that they seem to be the most 'popular' Native american nation- I mean I rarely hear any one say that they are Paiute or Crow or Ute.

Aren't there other Native American nations/tribes that one could belong to?
Lol, that's always what I want to know. And the ancestor is always a great-grandmother. That woman got around!

Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty201 View Post
i did my math wrong, we're actually 100.3% native american. Sorry about the mistake.
rofl!!!!

Old 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by othello212 View Post
These people all have "Cherokee" ancestors because they are all LYING. These people are known as $5. These are people who's ancestors paid $5 to be listed on the Indian Census called the Dawes Rolls during the early 1900s. When the word got out that the government was going to give resources and land to Indians, white people started pretending to be Native American. That's why 95% of people claiming Native American today don't have ANY real native blood in them at all.
Sometimes black people have the story, too. My black BIL supposedly had a Cherokee g-grandfather. Except that his sister and his cousin both got their DNA tested and they have zero NDN in them.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:08 PM

322 posts, read 708,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz7488 View Post
My son, we just took guardianship of him(at his choice) and he has an indian card. He does not know any of his past. Mom, passed, dad, jail. Any way, how do I find out what kind of benefits he would receive from this? Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance!!
He has and "Indian card?" You must mean he is a registered member of a Federal US recognized tribe. You contact the agency for that tribe. However, it seams apparent you are neither Indian or a member of a tribe = Not Indian. The ICWA (Indian Child Welfare Agency) will get involved regardless of his own consent. His mom and dad, if one of them or both is registered with a tribe, they may place him with a tribal family. If "your son" is registered with a tribe and they have no knowledge can proceed with removing him from your home after you place a call and they start inquiring.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 08-21-2016 at 01:48 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty201 View Post
I'm 3/4 of Native American, is that enough to get recognized?
In the US and Canada, there is no recognition for being "Native American" in any fraction. In the US, if a tribe is "treaty" Indians they have a past and ongoing relationship with the federal government in which they applied for federal US tribal recognition. Which means..........Members are enrolled on Indian/tribe Rolls or an Indian/tribe Census which is separate from the US Population census. Members ancestors are noted with a TRIBAL blood quanta. They provided lineal and genealogical verification of the decent from the ancestor(s) who first applied when the tribe was documented. Tribal blood quanta is determined from the point of origin.

When someone is noted as 3/4 Choctaw, this means that 3 out of their 4 grandparents were documented full blood Choctaws. The other 1 grandparent was either not Choctaw or non-Indian.

If you supposedly 3/4 Indian and asking that question here and not your family, makes me wonder no one is registered in your family after how many generations if you are 3/4th? Unless you are estranged from your family or adopted is questionable.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 08-21-2016 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by othello212 View Post
These people all have "Cherokee" ancestors because they are all LYING. These people are known as $5. These are people who's ancestors paid $5 to be listed on the Indian Census called the Dawes Rolls during the early 1900s. When the word got out that the government was going to give resources and land to Indians, white people started pretending to be Native American. That's why 95% of people claiming Native American today don't have ANY real native blood in them at all.
You are giving misinformation here. There was no paying to be on an Indian census. The Cherokee has many rolls, before, during and post removal. The wild claim of Cherokee ancestry is a different phenomena than people "buying" their way onto the Dawes, which by they way happened with many tribes applying for the Dawes commission (1889-1907), not just the Cherokee. Also, it wasn't pervasive as it was the White wealthy doing this, not poor Whites.

After the Five Civilized Tribes (Creeks, Choctaws, Cherokee, Seminole and Chickasaw) were relocated to Indian Territory (1838-1839 Oklahoma), the jurisdictions (counties) they were given weren't yet allotted. Once they allotted land via the Dawes, some of the more wealthy Whites wanted land as well. After land was being allotted, the Oklahoma land Rush played a part as Cherokee land owners would be dwindled out of their property with tax liens. Cherokees approved on the Dawes application "By Blood" are proven Cherokee from previous rolls that were verified before removal and on Western Rolls.

This $5 Indian while it happened in some cases, as I said was not pervasive and is usually espoused as an inflated claim from people looking to discredit peoples of Indian ancestry for their lack of evidence in proving their supposed ancestry.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,473 times
I just found out I'm 17% native American, what now?

Old 08-25-2016, 05:20 PM

661 posts, read 881,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamzey View Post
I am 20% as per FTDNA and Ancestry.Com

Old 08-26-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamzey View Post
Find out what the other 83% is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy