Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:04 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

There are a couple of questions that sometimes indicate a certain mentality, and these questions are, "What are my rights," etc., and "What am I entitled to?" and so on. Those questions often come from those seeking information about their possible Native American ancestry.

There is no denying the Native American people were treated unfairly and, in many instances, still are. But there also seems to be a wave of people hoping/wanting/ to claim Native American ancestry, for one reason only: money/entitlements.

This is the second wave of that. The last one happened in the 60s and 70s and most tribes tightened up their rolls and enrollment requirements after being scammed. It's a sore spot, makes me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:48 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,025,923 times
I went to an Indian Clinic who also services poor white people. I asked how much this particular service would be. We lived next door and I was very uncomfortable so didnt want to drive far.

They asked if I am Native American

I said yes but...then paused because we weren't allowed to talk about it

Asked if I have a family tree book

I said yes, my Aunt created it in 1978 with a manual typewriter.

They said go get it.

I came back, they asked me a few questions and I went to the book. Most questions I knew already about my family

Within 20 minutes, I was a verified native american

Now if I want, a certain level of healthcare is free and so is my dental care.

I have insurance for both now so I am fine and i am still going to their clinic, they just bill my insurance. EXCELLENT CARE by the way.

That 30 minutes to get verified was MORE THAN worth it

Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,027 times
I just took DNA test it says I have 30% Native American.. so what's this mean. I see 1/16 the 1/8th . What ones 30% equate too

Old 03-12-2017, 09:56 AM

322 posts, read 706,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
I went to an Indian Clinic who also services poor white people. I asked how much this particular service would be. We lived next door and I was very uncomfortable so didnt want to drive far.

They asked if I am Native American

I said yes but...then paused because we weren't allowed to talk about it
I don't know where to attack this post, it is laden with absurdities.

Obviously isn't a US Federal Tribal "Indian Clinic." They wouldn't ask you if you were "Native American", they would ask you if you are an enrolled tribal member (Federal tribe) in which you would produce your tribal card. Federal Indian Clinics, enrolled tribal members do not need insurance and are eligible for care. Non-Tribal members which would include people other than "poor Whites" need insurance or pay when services are rendered.
Quote:
Asked if I have a family tree book

I said yes, my Aunt created it in 1978 with a manual typewriter.

They said go get it.
This is simply not true in the US. A family tree book would not be asked for at a medical clinic to show you are Native American and is complete utter nonsense. This is not "proof" of Native American ancestry whether your Aunt typed it in 1978 or 4 BC. It would even be insufficient "proof " for enrollment with a tribe. We don't use a generic "prove your Native American." Evidence of Native American ancestry is to a tribal census/rolls kept by the US federal government with treaty tribes. Evidence you descend from these tribes is your Birth Certificate showing your pedigree to your ancestors that were registered with the tribe which would = enrollment. PROVING is never asked for at a clinic or even in a hospital. If you cannot provide a tribal membership card, end of story. As far as they are concerned, you are non-Indian and you pay for your services. They would not tell you to go home and retrieve your family tree book. In mainstream hospitals, all tribal Indians receiving care using their tribal benefits need to show tribal cards as proof of belonging to a US tribe. No ones asks you to, "go home and get it," your Aunt made family typed booked.

Quote:

Within 20 minutes, I was a verified native american

I have insurance for both now so I am fine and i am still going to their clinic, they just bill my insurance. EXCELLENT CARE by the way.
If in 20 min. you were verified a Native American, then why are they billing your insurance? Indians don't need Insurance. Enrolled tribal members are eligible to receive care because they are recognized tribal members. Right...They bill your insurance because you are non-Indian nor Native American.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 03-12-2017 at 10:09 AM..

Old 03-12-2017, 10:04 AM

322 posts, read 706,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Koch-Sower View Post
I just took DNA test it says I have 30% Native American.. so what's this mean. I see 1/16 the 1/8th . What ones 30% equate too
1/16 = 6.25% (GG-Grandparent). 1/8 = 12.5% (G-grandparent). 1/4 = 25% is a grandparent.

Estimates are just that estimates. 30% of your SNP's show similarity to the Native American sample. If you tested 30%, this would indicate one parent is primarily (but with mixture) Native American. Unless both of your parents have Native ancestry and 30% is quantitative between the two.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

There are a couple of questions that sometimes indicate a certain mentality, and these questions are, "What are my rights," etc., and "What am I entitled to?" and so on. Those questions often come from those seeking information about their possible Native American ancestry.

There is no denying the Native American people were treated unfairly and, in many instances, still are. But there also seems to be a wave of people hoping/wanting/ to claim Native American ancestry, for one reason only: money/entitlements.

But there are some of us just trying to verify who our grandparent is just because we just don't know and we get lumped with the grabbers. That is not fair either. I cannot trace my grandmother the regular way. There are no records of her mother that I have found that says she is the child of......no marriage certificate, no birth certificates, baptismal records, not even sure which state she was born. I only have what she wrote about herself for the family. Only have the census in 1880 when she was not living with either parent. Her dad's family have no record of her because he came to US first and family lost contact with him except for when he gave daughter to a sister to take care of for a while. He must have been the black sheep of the family. My Grandma told my dad and her other kids that her real mother was an Indian woman who left when her dad got hurt really bad when she was a baby. She said she lived in an orphanage for a while, but not sure if in Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, or elsewhere.

Grandma was born in 1872. So trying to fiure if the government could have moved her mom to the Winnebago reservation in Nebraska or somewhere and if her dad may have gotten hurt trying to defend her. To me it is family history. Not trying to gain money, notoriety, or anything except for Grandma's history. I am sure most of us are doing the same.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
But there are some of us just trying to verify who our grandparent is just because we just don't know and we get lumped with the grabbers. That is not fair either. I cannot trace my grandmother the regular way. There are no records of her mother that I have found that says she is the child of......no marriage certificate, no birth certificates, baptismal records, not even sure which state she was born. I only have what she wrote about herself for the family. Only have the census in 1880 when she was not living with either parent. Her dad's family have no record of her because he came to US first and family lost contact with him except for when he gave daughter to a sister to take care of for a while. He must have been the black sheep of the family. My Grandma told my dad and her other kids that her real mother was an Indian woman who left when her dad got hurt really bad when she was a baby. She said she lived in an orphanage for a while, but not sure if in Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, or elsewhere.

Grandma was born in 1872. So trying to fiure if the government could have moved her mom to the Winnebago reservation in Nebraska or somewhere and if her dad may have gotten hurt trying to defend her. To me it is family history. Not trying to gain money, notoriety, or anything except for Grandma's history. I am sure most of us are doing the same.
If you wish assistance from the genealogical researchers here, start a new thread in this forum with your grandmother's information. Put everything you have found/verified and also separately list everything you have been told.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 928 times
Hi can u tell me how to fill paper work out for Naïve so I can do a blood test I'm only half Naïve and would like to
Know more about my people and where they came from and learn there dance and how they would make things and try to understand there talking and other things

Old 03-17-2017, 09:00 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by april.mirles View Post
Hi can u tell me how to fill paper work out for Naïve so I can do a blood test I'm only half Naïve and would like to
Know more about my people and where they came from and learn there dance and how they would make things and try to understand there talking and other things
If you are half Indian talk to someone from that half of your family and work with the specific nation to whom you belong. No one here can tell you anything from what you wrote above.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Now if I want, a certain level of healthcare is free and so is my dental care.

Why would you pay for insurance when you can get healthcare for free? What the clinic bills to the insurance is just your visit/treatment fees, you still have to pay for your insurance. You could get the same healthcare from the same clinic for free, yet you choose to pay for it? That makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy